[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 5 points 5 months ago

Well AR15 sales are good for business, and piracy is not... Great world!

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 13 points 7 months ago

I think what would be interesting is to get everyone who self hosts this do part of the indexing. As in, find some way to split the indexing over self-hosted instances running this search engine. Then make sure "the internet" is divided somewhat reasonably. Kind of what crypto does, but instead producing the indexes instead of nothing.

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 32 points 9 months ago

It's a security thing. The HttpOnly cookie can't be stolen using XSS or something like that, while a bearer token must be stored somewhere where javascript can see it.

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 22 points 11 months ago

I've recently switched from Notion to Obsidian (almost anyway). But I still have to find a good way to sync. I tried nextcloud, but I couldn't get two way sync to work on mobile. I feel like €10,- a month for just sync is a bit much, and it (partly) defeats the idea of "the files are mine".

I wish the official sync software was available for self hosting (ie as a Docker container). Maybe even against a one time fee?

What solutions do others here use for syncing?

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 10 points 11 months ago

And then there is the "clipboard" (copy paste function) in the nano text editor being a third

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 7 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I have also completed the survey. I think it would also be interesting to see how permanently people left reddit.

For example, I was Lemmy exclusive for a while, but started missing discussions on more niche subjects (aquarium and shrimp keeping, audiophile equipment), and have since gone back to reddit sometimes. But I also think many people that were part of the migration completely deleted their accounts.

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 6 points 1 year ago

For Google, yes that's true. Subscription model YouTube is working so that seems fine. But for other websites, such as news sites etc. I wonder if there is a feasible alternative because I don't want those sites to go away.

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 13 points 1 year ago

Will ungoogled chromium be able to patch this out?

Beside this, I'm still a bit worried about the state of the internet. Currently, ad revenue is what keeps a lot of sites online/free to use. Within the current economic system, is it even feasible to have privacy online?

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 10 points 1 year ago

I tend to wear Ecco's (not crazy expensive ones, more in the 120-150€ range). I quite like them in terms of being strong and looking good enough. But I think they last me about 2-3 years.

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 9 points 1 year ago

Brandon Sanderson is always a good recommendation

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 19 points 1 year ago

Well the judges are currently reviewing the evidence, so at best, the proof is not public yet. Suffice to say the prosecutors claim he appeared to be running a sex trafficking ring (https://www.reuters.com/world/romania-detains-ex-kickboxer-andrew-tate-human-trafficking-case-2022-12-30/). Which very often contains countless cases of rape.

He also "proudly" says he's a misogynist, woman are weak, etc (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64125045). This its not something non-rapists tend to say.

My Betta Baard (feddit.nl)

Sharing him because I liked the picture

[-] immortaly007@feddit.nl 6 points 1 year ago

Then the next question is, when was it last updated?

submitted 1 year ago by immortaly007@feddit.nl to c/homelab@lemmy.ml

I have been running a little home server for a long time. It currently has an Intel celeron G1610, and a case that fits a Mini-ITX motherboard. It also has 3 big disks for data (NAS style), and one SATA SSD for the OS (Debian).

But lately I've been asking a lot from it and it's not really keeping up so I'm thinking to upgrade. A relatively low power consumption is important to me.

What CPU would you recommend?

view more: next ›

immortaly007

joined 1 year ago