[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 6 points 6 days ago

I had a frustrating issue yesterday. I had removed drives, and forgot to edit my hardware config, so it kept failing to boot and would go into emergency mode, which I didn’t have an internet connection in so I couldn’t rebuild.

I ended up having to figure out which drive was missing in order to get it to boot (long story, I had to go through a stack of 4tb drives to find the right one).

How could I have fixed this issue had the drive not been available? Manually bringing up the network stack, I suppose?

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 9 points 2 weeks ago

The pets, they’re eating them!

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 7 points 2 months ago

Rusty, I’m a big fan.

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 8 points 2 months ago* (last edited 2 months ago)

This wouldn’t be for a single customer. It’s 50 gig PON, which would serve 32-64 different customers. I’m not an engineer, but I’m assuming it will pave the way for 2.5-5 Gbps services.

Most companies are currently switching from GPON (2.5 gig shared 32 ways), to XGSPON (10 Gbps split between 32-64 customers).

The company I work for has been deploying XGSPON on Nokia transport for a few years now. It’s very nice.

Edit: I wasn’t real specific on how it’s split. So that 50 Gbps feed is sent down a single fiber to a splitter, which is often in the field in an AP cabinet. From there fiber that actually goes to the customer’s premise gets connected. It feels a little dirty splitting like some sort of old coax system, but it makes rolling out fiber to the home much, much quicker.

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 36 points 2 months ago

If they could both just beat each other to death, that’d be great.

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 22 points 3 months ago

My kids, unfortunately, love the game, so I’ve kept up with performance a little bit. It seems they’re trying their best to make it run like trash. They can’t even support the few operating systems it does run on. I haven’t noticed any mind blowing graphics updates, but fps is around a third of what it used go be. Such a garbage company.

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 124 points 3 months ago

I can’t wait till those regulations get enforced.

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 16 points 4 months ago

Tech to make day to day chores easier have had the largest impact for us. The automated self cleaning liter box for the cats, the cordless vacuum, the cordless electric mop (such as Tineco), electric lawn mowers (no maintenance), smart outlets and automations via home assistant.

Another big one is the RO water filter at the kitchen sink. No more bottled water. Bonus points if you get one that tells you when fillters need to be changed. So nice.

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 70 points 5 months ago

It was recently brought to my attention, while being attacked for being part of a union and owning an EV, that the problem with America is employers treating employees too well.

[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 15 points 5 months ago
[-] Subdivide6857@midwest.social 8 points 6 months ago

This majority of this article is about how the US is trying to harm China.

view more: next ›

Subdivide6857

joined 1 year ago