[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 13 points 1 year ago

I'm guessing most of the Beehaws at least have duplicates since they cut themselves off.

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 22 points 1 year ago

Yeah I assume the reason there isn't is because the general ones are US-centric by default and then everyone else has to have somewhere specific to go. But I guess if they want their own dedicated place too why not?

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 10 points 1 year ago

We're paying them to produce this pollution.

Just read reviews?

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 18 points 1 year ago

That should definitely be illegal.

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 8 points 1 year ago

I don't think they'll stop until they have the whole historic area of Israel (which includes more than just Palestine.) Crazy that this is allowed.

submitted 1 year ago by Knoll0114@lemmy.world to c/books@lemmy.ml

What books/comics/mangas etc. Did you read in June?

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 14 points 1 year ago

That's gotta be the most insane anthropogenic impact I've ever heard.

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 11 points 1 year ago

I'm pretty sure it just doesn't suit New Zealand right now to call him a dictator, especially with a visit coming up in a week. Australia and New Zealand have to occupy a precarious position because they are European/Western in nature but obviously closest to the Asian powers. Therefore they have to try and be besties with the US whilst staying ok with China.

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 7 points 1 year ago

Conversation about hot topics is going to happen no matter what. As long as it stays respectful I think it's ok.

submitted 1 year ago by Knoll0114@lemmy.world to c/cosmere@lemmy.ml

The WoK was a 5 star read for me, WoR a 3 star and now I'm struggling to get properly into Oathbringer. I think I'm on chapter 10. Anyone else have this problem? Does it get more interesting or am I just not a Sanderson person?

Currently in Egypt and they just asked us to pay in USD cash for an added activity but, not being American, we don't have USD. We have the local currency and the ability to get that out at ATMs, but no way to access foreign currency. So annoying but they accepted local in the end.

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 9 points 1 year ago

The community vibe is definitely a huge motivation. They want to be able to control the sort of people on their instance which they can't do if the mass user bases from lemmy.world etc. that are (relatively) neutral have access. It's a shame because they had some good communities established.

submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by Knoll0114@lemmy.world to c/books@lemmy.ml

Beehaw has decided to defederate from lemmy.world and sh.itjust.works. I believe it was already separated from lemmygrad. I think this makes this community the largest one accessible to the most instances whereas before Literature@beehaw.org was. I guess we'll have to make the most of it!

submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by Knoll0114@lemmy.world to c/literature@beehaw.org

cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/80166

I'm thinking we should have a central post for all the book sublemmys so we can easily find them. The ones I'm aware of are: Lemmy:

Fediverse:

Sublemmys in other languages would be great to add here too! I'll keep adding more as I find them.

Help was there when you needed it, even for niche software or usecases there was more often than not someone who had already asked the question or who could help. This has been invaluable every time I've tried something new (eg. Making a static website, learning Spanish, switching to Linux.)

Hostel kitty (lemmy.world)
submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by Knoll0114@lemmy.world to c/cat@lemmy.world

submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by Knoll0114@lemmy.world to c/books@lemmy.ml

I'm thinking we should have a central post for all the book sublemmys so we can easily find them. The ones I'm aware of are:

Fediverse:

Sublemmys in other languages would be great to add here too! I'll keep adding more as I find them.

[-] Knoll0114@lemmy.world 5 points 1 year ago

I keep searching for it on my phone before realising I deleted the app 🙃

cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/42666

I recently discovered Bookwyrm and am really liking it. It's not quite as full-featured as The Storygraph or Goodreads but it covers all of the most important functionalities and it's federated which I appreciate. Something that it is missing Vs either The Storygraph or Goodreads at the moment is volume of reviews (ie. Volume of users.) However, your review won't get lost in the sea so much and I've found that it's been quite easy to find readers with similar interests.

Anyway, who here is using Bookwyrm? What's your account so we can all follow each other? (Mine is Unfreeze4257@books.theunseen)

Unlike many other large subreddits r/books has not made any statements about the API changes. I did try and post something about it but it ended up getting deleted. At 22.1 million users this would be a pretty significant addition to the protest.

Does anyone know why there hasn't been anything official?

I recently discovered Bookwyrm and am really liking it. It's not quite as full-featured as The Storygraph or Goodreads but it covers all of the most important functionalities and it's federated which I appreciate. Something that it is missing Vs either The Storygraph or Goodreads at the moment is volume of reviews (ie. Volume of users.) However, your review won't get lost in the sea so much and I've found that it's been quite easy to find readers with similar interests.

Anyway, who here is using Bookwyrm? What's your account so we can all follow each other? (Mine is Unfreeze4257@books.theunseen)

submitted 1 year ago by Knoll0114@lemmy.world to c/fantasy@lemmy.ml

view more: next ›

Knoll0114

joined 1 year ago