Also China has a weird thing about battery operated trams. Not sure why they don't put up the wires for so many of them.

top 10 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] TotalBrownout@hexbear.net 14 points 8 months ago

This type of tram is capable of operating off-wire for a short distance, useful for areas where overhead wires are not feasible due to obstructions or conflicts with other lines.

[-] jonne@infosec.pub 1 points 8 months ago

It definitely looks better, but I'm not sure if it's cost-effective at all.

[-] SovietWaveGoddess@hexbear.net 2 points 8 months ago

the resulting returns from being able to decrease the amount of necessary infrastructure to run it will be cost-effective immediately

[-] jonne@infosec.pub 2 points 8 months ago

I guess it depends on whether more expensive and complex rolling stock makes up for putting up wires.

[-] Annoyed_Crabby@monyet.cc 10 points 8 months ago

China do have a thing for battery operated vehicle, i think they've been making electric busses for some time before Tesla is even mainstream, and also have a thing for hydrogen powered vehicle as well. China's growth in technology is scarily fast.

[-] PointAndClique@hexbear.net 10 points 8 months ago

This one looks to be the 深爱号 Shen'ai Hao in Longhua district Shenzhen. The name is a pun meaning both 'Deep love' and 'Shen[zhen] love' because both share the first character 深.

[-] Annoyed_Crabby@monyet.cc 6 points 8 months ago

It's also might be a bit of word play with 爱号(aì haò), as 爱好(aì haò)(hobby) sound the same, the whole word can be interpreted as ShenZhen's Hobby, because it's an advanced city in China and tech is their hobby.

[-] PointAndClique@hexbear.net 3 points 8 months ago

You're right! I'm not a native speaker so that pun didn't jump out to me straight away. It's very playful. I really hope to visit Shenzhen one day.

[-] CarsAndComrades@hexbear.net 7 points 8 months ago

They should replace the batteries with a giant flywheel

[-] DanComrd@hexbear.net 5 points 8 months ago

This took me by surprise cause when I first looked at this picture I thought it was taken from Barcelona or Paris. This is truly good looking heart-sickle

this post was submitted on 04 Jan 2024
51 points (100.0% liked)

urbanism

22538 readers
1 users here now

This was supposed to be c/traingang, so post as many train pictures as possible.

All about urbanism and transportation, including freight transportation.

Home of train gang

:arm-L::train-shining::arm-R:

Trainposts highly encouraged

Talk about supply chain issues here!

List of cool books and videos about urbanism, transit, and other cool things

Titles must be informative. Please do not title your post "lmao" or use the tired "_____ challenge" format.

Archive links for reactionary sites, including the BBC.

LANDLORDS COWER IN FEAR OF MAOTRAIN

"that train pic is too powerful lmao" - u/Cadende

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS