submitted 1 year ago by Girlparts@kbin.social to c/news@kbin.social

The allergy, called alpha-gal syndrome, came to light a little over a decade ago.

all 9 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] LoafyLemon@kbin.social 5 points 1 year ago

The interesting part:

But, in recent years, researchers have also discovered that alpha-gal is in tick saliva. And, for reasons researchers still haven't worked out, some people bitten by ticks develop a type of antibody called anti-alpha-gal IgE. This antibody may help protect people from tick bites, but it also renders them allergic to anything with alpha-gal—i.e., mammalian meat and animal products. It's a double-edged sword that has been hypothesized to be an "allergic klendusity."

[-] Tordoc@beehaw.org 4 points 1 year ago

I found a chart from Alpha-Gal Information that lists the products that those with alpha-gal syndrome might have allergic reactions to; of note is that some have reactions to gelatin, which is present in many medicines including gel-caps.

[-] HubertManne@kbin.social 3 points 1 year ago

ouch. the gelatin is tough nutrition wise.

[-] secrethat@kbin.social 3 points 1 year ago

PETA Bioweaponry!

Ok... So involuntary vegetarian...

Idk, sound like not the worst thing.

[-] Erikatharsis@kbin.social 8 points 1 year ago

I mean, it's probably not a particularly fun experience to only find out that you have this allergy after you almost fucking die eight hours after getting a vaccine with trace amounts of alpha-gal in it, in severe cases.

As the disease rises in prominence, I reckon we'll start to see at-home tests. I certainly hope that happens.

[-] Balios@kbin.social 1 points 1 year ago

If it would only be meat, sure. Unpleasant but manageable. But the animal products can be a problem. They not only put you very close to the most hard-core of vegans diet plan, they additionally mess with medical treatment available to you.

[-] Machinist3359@kbin.social 1 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Even as a vegan, I'll say, robbing folks of autonomy over food is truly awful. Food holds deep cultural and psychological meanings.

I'd take a few folks eating meat less regularly (willingly, and seeing value in it) over any number of folks forced into vegetarianism.

this post was submitted on 28 Jul 2023
28 points (100.0% liked)

News

19 readers
12 users here now

Breaking news and current events worldwide.

founded 1 year ago