Hey everyone,

I have a contract with UPC for access to a fiber optic connection. In the contract it is stated that the amount of Internet data transferred is not measured and there are no limits on this issue. However, I would like to ask if this is actually the case? Can I download for example 100 TB per month without any problems? How does this work in practice?

top 15 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] delendum@lemdit.com 17 points 1 year ago

In practice UPC will probably have some kind of fair use policy buried in its terms of service - your best bet is to go through those terms and see what you find. Fair use typically means they will start throttling you beyond a certain point. Most ISPs keep this reasonably vague (e.g. if your usage is in excess of what they deem to be reasonable, but no actual data amounts defined).

Not all ISPs have a fair use policy though, and typically you're better off on large ISPs where your usage doesn't really stand out that much.

[-] Fleppensteijn@feddit.nl 2 points 1 year ago

For me, this was the case. Got throttled to dial-up-like speed for a while, but I believe they gave up on this practice long ago. This was at least 20 years ago.

[-] Ziggurat@sh.itjust.works 10 points 1 year ago

Wait, is there place where capped data on landline internet are a thing ? That said, I would expect that if you use it "professionally" they'll tell you to get a professional contract and not the cheap one ?

[-] tristar@lemmyfly.org 9 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I just recently found out that Americans do in fact have data caps even on landline. Recommend watching this episode of Patriot Act, it made me realize just how shitty ISPs are in America, all in the name of profit.

The only thing ISPs adjust is your bandwidth, offices with many computers need more and have to pay up.

And yeah, @mypasswordis1234@lemmy.world. Unlimited means unlimited. Go download your... whatever it is you're downloading.

[-] account_93@lemm.ee 2 points 1 year ago

My grandparents have a capped plan of like 60GB last time I was round there, I assume it's some sorta ultra cheap plan given they don't use it a whole bunch it makes sense for them. UK.

[-] fkn@lemmy.world 8 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

If they say unmetered they mean unmetered. You can check the fine print, for data reprioritizing rules.

Ultimately if it's unmetered, you can compute your maximum theoretical usage based on your actual speed. For example a 1gigbit port can transfer about 333TB each way.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/data-transfer

Edit: I see no language in UPS.ch around data limits so I imagine it's truly unlimited.

[-] slazer2au@lemmy.world 4 points 1 year ago

I use to work for an ISP and while there are things like unlimited plans, there would also be an Acceptable Use Policy. Where if you are using your service at 100% 24 hours a day we can bill you higher or throttle your speed if it starts effecting other people's service.

Check with your ISP if they have an Acceptable Use Policy and what penilties you may face.

[-] Awwab@kbin.social 4 points 1 year ago

If it says it's not data capped then it's going to really just depend on what speed you can get up/down.

[-] SirStumps@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

I know Xfinity has a limit but I pay to have none. CenturyLink does not have a limit. So you may not have a limit. Google if your IP has a data cap.

[-] mypasswordis1234@lemmy.world 2 points 1 year ago

Google if your IP has a data cap.

I searched for this phrase and found several topics on forums, including reddit. One user wrote that he transfers about 15 TB a month and they don't make any problems for him because of it.

[-] IthronMorn@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 year ago

That data cap actually doesn't exist in their North East market.

[-] SirStumps@lemmy.world 1 points 1 year ago

Must be nice. We should get fiber where I live soon and Xfinity won't be the monopoly anymore.

[-] IthronMorn@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 year ago

I just found out about it this month. So far for July I've downed 4.5TB and no peep from them yet!

[-] jeffw@lemmy.world -4 points 1 year ago

I think this is one of those “ask for forgiveness, not permission” things. Unless you have no other options for internet, I wouldn’t stress

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 27 Jul 2023
20 points (88.5% liked)

No Stupid Questions

35386 readers
1713 users here now

No such thing. Ask away!

!nostupidquestions is a community dedicated to being helpful and answering each others' questions on various topics.

The rules for posting and commenting, besides the rules defined here for lemmy.world, are as follows:

Rules (interactive)

Rule 1- All posts must be legitimate questions. All post titles must include a question.

All posts must be legitimate questions, and all post titles must include a question. Questions that are joke or trolling questions, memes, song lyrics as title, etc. are not allowed here. See Rule 6 for all exceptions.

Rule 2- Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material.

Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material. You will be warned first, banned second.

Rule 3- Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here.

Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here. Breaking this rule will not get you or your post removed, but it will put you at risk, and possibly in danger.

Rule 4- No self promotion or upvote-farming of any kind.

That's it.

Rule 5- No baiting or sealioning or promoting an agenda.

Questions which, instead of being of an innocuous nature, are specifically intended (based on reports and in the opinion of our crack moderation team) to bait users into ideological wars on charged political topics will be removed and the authors warned - or banned - depending on severity.

Rule 6- Regarding META posts and joke questions.

Provided it is about the community itself, you may post non-question posts using the [META] tag on your post title.

On fridays, you are allowed to post meme and troll questions, on the condition that it's in text format only, and conforms with our other rules. These posts MUST include the [NSQ Friday] tag in their title.

If you post a serious question on friday and are looking only for legitimate answers, then please include the [Serious] tag on your post. Irrelevant replies will then be removed by moderators.

Rule 7- You can't intentionally annoy, mock, or harass other members.

If you intentionally annoy, mock, harass, or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathiser or a resemblant of a movement that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of a group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you will be banned on sight.

Rule 8- All comments should try to stay relevant to their parent content.

Rule 9- Reposts from other platforms are not allowed.

Let everyone have their own content.

Rule 10- Majority of bots aren't allowed to participate here.

Credits

Our breathtaking icon was bestowed upon us by @Cevilia!

The greatest banner of all time: by @TheOneWithTheHair!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS