submitted 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago) by ijeff@lemdro.id to c/android@lemdro.id

Like Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire TV is now displaying full-screen video ads, as reported by owners of Fire TV devices on Reddit.

top 16 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] bestusername@aussie.zone 30 points 10 months ago

I made jokes about Google adding full screen video ads when they introduced ~~recommendations~~ paid ads and I was laughed at.

So glad I ditched the stock launcher.

[-] wccrawford@lemmy.world 9 points 10 months ago

What do you use for a launcher now?

[-] bestusername@aussie.zone 5 points 10 months ago

Currently using Wolf Launcher, has a clean simple grid of my apps and a wallpaper of my choosing, no bullshit.

[-] CIA_Chatbot@normalcity.life 21 points 10 months ago

Apparently Amazon is dead set on killing the device prior to changing the OS to stop installations of side loading APK’s like Kodi. This is like chopping off your nose to spite your face.

[-] funkajunk@lemm.ee 18 points 10 months ago

Good thing I disabled the stock launcher and OTA updates

[-] Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world 7 points 10 months ago

Tell me more! My wife's family just bought a Fire TV and will get it delivered soon. Id love to give them the gift of removing that feature.

[-] funkajunk@lemm.ee 8 points 10 months ago

It may already be too late.

If they didn't de-select the option when ordering to have the device automatically setup for them, it's been loaded with the latest firmware that blocks the use of third party launchers.

[-] Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world 2 points 10 months ago

Dang. Thanks anyways

[-] SamVergeudetZeit@feddit.de 14 points 10 months ago

Aaand ... its lame.

[-] jeena@jemmy.jeena.net 7 points 10 months ago

The article says Google TV does this too but I don't see anything like that on mine.

[-] newthrowaway20@lemmy.world 33 points 10 months ago* (last edited 10 months ago)

The top of the entire starting page is an ad. You gotta navigate past it to get to your apps. It's so engrained in your mind that you don't even realize it's an ad anymore.

[-] jeena@jemmy.jeena.net 10 points 10 months ago

Aah that thing, ok yeah, you're right. I guess I almost never see it because I'm showing family pictures when nobody is watching and then I press the YouTube button to open the SmartTube app.

[-] Ferris@infosec.pub 6 points 10 months ago

yay user interface obstacle

[-] nonailsleft@lemm.ee 2 points 10 months ago

On my LG I just have everything mapped to a long press on the remote, so I rarely see the home screen. Not that it's showing ads (yet) but it's nice to have that option (and much quicker)

[-] Midnitte@kbin.social 5 points 10 months ago

Amazing how enshitification has continued to march on.

[-] mindbleach@sh.itjust.works 5 points 10 months ago

We can ban this.

We can make this flatly illegal.

this post was submitted on 24 Nov 2023
124 points (100.0% liked)

Android

17445 readers
385 users here now

The new home of /r/Android on Lemmy and the Fediverse!

Android news, reviews, tips, and discussions about rooting, tutorials, and apps.

🔗Universal Link: !android@lemdro.id

💡Content Philosophy:

Content which benefits the community (news, rumours, and discussions) is generally allowed and is valued over content which benefits only the individual (technical questions, help buying/selling, rants, self-promotion, etc.) which will be removed if it's in violation of the rules.

Support, technical, or app related questions belong in: !askandroid@lemdro.id

For fresh communities, lemmy apps, and instance updates: !lemdroid@lemdro.id

💬Matrix Chat

💬Telegram channels / chats

📰Our communities below

Rules

1. Stay on topic: All posts should be related to the Android OS or ecosystem.

2. No support questions, recommendation requests, rants, or bug reports: Posts must benefit the community rather than the individual. Please post to !askandroid@lemdro.id.

3. Describe images/videos, no memes: Please include a text description when sharing images or videos. Post memes to !androidmemes@lemdro.id.

4. No self-promotion spam: Active community members can post their apps if they answer any questions in the comments. Please do not post links to your own website, YouTube, blog content, or communities.

5. No reposts or rehosted content: Share only the original source of an article, unless it's not available in English or requires logging in (like Twitter). Avoid reposting the same topic from other sources.

6. No editorializing titles: You can add the author or website's name if helpful, but keep article titles unchanged.

7. No piracy or unverified APKs: Do not share links or direct people to pirated content or unverified APKs, which may contain malicious code.

8. No unauthorized polls, bots, or giveaways: Do not create polls, use bots, or organize giveaways without first contacting mods for approval.

9. No offensive or low-effort content: Don't post offensive or unhelpful content. Keep it civil and friendly!

10. No affiliate links: Posting affiliate links is not allowed.

Quick Links

Our Communities

Lemmy App List

Chat and More

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS