Windows... (pawb.social)
top 25 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] AccountMaker@slrpnk.net 8 points 1 year ago

When I was first starting out my programming adventures with Python, someone told me that I should work with Python 3 instead of 2 because that's what will be maintained in the future (this was some 8 years ago). I decided to listen and when I got home I opened up my terminal, wrote:

sudo apt-get remove python

Followed by

sudo apt-get install python3

Only to be suddenly greeted with:

sudo: command not found

[-] ReakDuck@lemmy.ml 5 points 1 year ago

Is it easier to remove Snap from Ubuntu or Edge from Windows 11?

[-] myrrh@iusearchlinux.fyi 3 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)
[-] drownedPhoenician@feddit.de 1 points 1 year ago

For those wondering which xkcd:

xkcd 149

[-] const_void@lemmy.ml 3 points 1 year ago

Edge is so trashy. It's constantly trying to shove politics, celebrity gossip and Bing down your throat.

[-] DestroyMegacorps@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 year ago

Can you refer to windows as edge/windows?

[-] Plume@beehaw.org 1 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)
[-] DrownedAxolotl@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 year ago

To be completely fair, he nuked his desktop environment when it absolutely shouldn't have happened. Yes, there was the warning and he should've read it, but coming from Windows, how many times is the "This app may harm your PC" threat legitimate? Linus made an honest mistake, but pop truly made a massive oversight.

[-] DokoDemoCrafter1999@pawb.social 1 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Steps to remove GRUB on Debian: "doas apt purge grub-efi* -y" "doas rm -rf /boot/efi/EFI/debian"

[-] Kuinox@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

Well you can still uninstall edge on windows, even if it break your system, you can do it. There are tons of guides you can find on internet. It's basically running the installer with an uninstall flag.

[-] DudePluto@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago

Does it actually break the system tho?

[-] Kuinox@lemmy.world 0 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Some functionalites are broken, for example some settings in the settings panel wont display, because it's a react ui (mostly everything related to onedrive/online account), lots of software expect it to be present and use it (like visual studio). Git (to connect with oauth).
But a lot of things still works.

[-] N00b22@lemmy.ml 0 points 1 year ago

You can actually uninstall Edge, Microsoft just says it will break your system. Not a big deal, you can always reinstall Edge later via winget

[-] asexualchangeling@lemmy.ml 0 points 1 year ago

Last time I tried (haven't used Windows in over a year) it just reinstalled itself unless you went to a fair amount of effort to stop it

[-] wren@lemmy.ml 0 points 1 year ago

Yep, this is still the case. Every time there's an update it will reinstall and preventing that is so tedious. Just got a new gaming system setup (Aya Neo, which is Windows based) and I really don't feel like going through the whole process to remove it / prevent it from coming back

[-] asexualchangeling@lemmy.ml 0 points 1 year ago

Not suggesting you do it necessarily, but I wonder how well linux runs on something like that, gaming on a windows handheld just seems so inconvenient, especially sense I haven't had a use for windows in a long while

[-] wren@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 year ago

I’m super curious too! I’d be very worried about the drivers for the controllers though. They’re dodgy enough as is haha

It is a little annoying but the portability really makes up for it for me

[-] DestroyMegacorps@lemmy.ml 0 points 1 year ago

Can you refer to windows as edge/windows?

[-] Senseibu@feddit.uk -4 points 1 year ago

Edge is decent, it’s my main browser now

[-] name_NULL111653@pawb.social 4 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Decent browser? Absolutely. Privacy oriented enough to trust with my data? Lol, heck no!

[-] ReakDuck@lemmy.ml 2 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

No, its not your main browser. [tries to gaslight]

[-] Bjoern_Tantau@feddit.de 2 points 1 year ago

The thing that started sending all your pics to Microsoft for "enhancement"?

[-] halcyon@lemmy.ml 1 points 1 year ago

Even if it was perfect and everyone should use it. The issue is that you can not remove (uninstall) it, which you should be able to do, especially for a browser.

[-] BathtubJoe@kbin.social 0 points 1 year ago
[-] tboyer96@kbin.social 2 points 1 year ago

In terms of usability? Yeah, edge is good, especially if you are a fan of vertical tabs. After all, it's just yet another chromium-based browser. In terms of privacy? Oh god no, given Microsoft's track record it's probably the worst browser out there in that regard.

this post was submitted on 16 Jun 2023
81 points (100.0% liked)

Memes

45256 readers
3498 users here now

Rules:

1. Be civil and nice.
  2. Try not to excessively repost, as a rule of thumb, wait at least 2 months to do it if you have to.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS