Alternative link where I'm told the story is written better, but unfortunately has a signup wall and I'm not willing to sign up https://www.404media.co/paralyzed-jockey-loses-ability-to-walk-after-manufacturer-refuses-to-fix-battery-for-his-100-000-exoskeleton/

top 7 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] apfelwoiSchoppen@lemmy.world 27 points 2 hours ago

This is an examine of why Right to Repair and standardized batteries are important.

[-] henfredemars@infosec.pub 4 points 1 hour ago

I was just thinking the other day why we don’t have standardized EV batteries with a swap process for instant refueling. It would open up so many use cases, particularly for those who can’t have something like that charge overnight.

[-] Annoyed_Crabby@monyet.cc 1 points 23 minutes ago

Nio is one company that does just that in China, i'd assume swapping battery is expensive though so the use case is still limited.

[-] lurch@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 hour ago

they exist for electric scooters in some regions, but car manufacturers really hate each other. it's possible but unlikely. it takes them forever to even offer a charging port adapter.

[-] apfelwoiSchoppen@lemmy.world 4 points 1 hour ago

I would love more standardized batteries in everyday tech too. We need to standardized another shape or two for phones and other small tech. Finding good brands' bike lights with AA or AAA batteries, for example, impossible anymore.

[-] lurch@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 hour ago
[-] Moonrise2473@feddit.it 1 points 1 hour ago

I'm shocked to learn that they are licensing the tech to competitors instead of holding everything in the walled garden

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
67 points (100.0% liked)

A Boring Dystopia

9576 readers
251 users here now

Pictures, Videos, Articles showing just how boring it is to live in a dystopic society, or with signs of a dystopic society.

Rules (Subject to Change)

--Be a Decent Human Being

--Posting news articles: include the source name and exact title from article in your post title

--Posts must have something to do with the topic

--Zero tolerance for Racism/Sexism/Ableism/etc.

--No NSFW content

--Abide by the rules of lemmy.world

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS