top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 2 points 36 minutes ago

Eventually it would just become brandy.

[-] Blackmist@feddit.uk 4 points 1 hour ago

Jesus can spike a girl's drink from across the room.

[-] werefreeatlast@lemmy.world 2 points 1 hour ago

It was probably kombucha.

[-] Snapz@lemmy.world 6 points 6 hours ago

Can the space man make port?

[-] intensely_human@lemm.ee 83 points 12 hours ago
[-] DudeImMacGyver@sh.itjust.works 1 points 2 hours ago

I want to make a pun but I still can't figure one out.

[-] Davidchan@lemmynsfw.com 7 points 7 hours ago

Take your upvote and get out.

[-] Sotuanduso@lemm.ee 32 points 10 hours ago

Yes. The power to do literally anything would allow one to do this.

[-] FreshLight@sh.itjust.works 6 points 6 hours ago

Can he create a stone that is not liftable and then proceed to lift it?

[-] Hexarei@programming.dev 6 points 2 hours ago

The easiest answer to this is yes, he could create a stone he couldn't lift. And then he could lift it anyway.

[-] dwindling7373@feddit.it 7 points 6 hours ago* (last edited 6 hours ago)

Unironically the question by witch many Christian faiths differ: does God needs abide to the rules of logic or not?

For the Roman Catholic, yes, for Calvinists and a bunch other (ok, many other but I'm not an expert), no.

[-] fsxylo@sh.itjust.works 6 points 2 hours ago

Answer: whatever causes the person you're arguing with to throw their hands up and storm off more exasperated..

[-] dwindling7373@feddit.it 4 points 1 hour ago* (last edited 1 hour ago)

No, not really, it's mostly a matter of power.

The Church itself is rooted in the idea that there are autorities on matter of faith and they adopted the Platonical Agostinean idea that faith is empowered by reason. Reason being a valid tool means you have experts that reasoned a lot about religion and people that know less and needs to be taught, ultimately by the Pope.

The "other" side tends to reject authorities, and take the words of the bible as sobjected to personal interpretation or, to an extent, make it into some sort of magical object that the faithfull subjects itself to, without questions. Accepting the contradictions, the illogal parts, are what that kind of faith is about because to question (throught reasoning) God is a Sin.

[-] Zahille7@lemmy.world 5 points 10 hours ago

Your comment made me think of this scene from American Dad

[-] tunetardis@lemmy.ca 5 points 8 hours ago

Probably, but he had to leave something for bored celibate monks to do. There are worse callings than to devote a lifetime to finding all manner of ways to fortify wines.

[-] jubilationtcornpone@sh.itjust.works 22 points 12 hours ago* (last edited 12 hours ago)

"And on the third day, there was a wedding in Cana. Jesus' mother was there. When the wine was drunk, Jesus' mother said to him, 'We're out of wine.' 'Bruh... That's a big yikes. But why do I care?', replied Jesus.

Jesus mother instructed the servants, 'you just do whatever he tells you no matter how stupid it sounds.' Jesus sighed and turned to the servants saying, ' Okay. You see those jars? Nope. Not that one. The big ones. Yeah. Those big ones over there. Go fill them up with water. All the way up. Then take some of the water and give it to the host."

The servants were more than a little skeptical but shrugged and did as they were told. When the host of the wedding feast tasted the water, it had become wine. And the host exclaimed, "Damn! That is some good shit. Where did you get that from?" And the servants were amazed because they knew from where the wine came.

And the servants implored Jesus, 'Do it again! No, wait. Can you make something stronger this time?"

-- The Gospel According to [Skibidi] John

[-] A_Union_of_Kobolds@lemmy.world 84 points 15 hours ago

Water + Jesus = Wine

Wine + Jesus = Brandy

Brandy + Jesus = Twice-distilled Brandy? Cooking sherry? Idk

[-] billiam0202@lemmy.world 42 points 15 hours ago

I choose to believe at this point, Jesus got so drunk he forgot to try it a third time.

[-] metaStatic@kbin.earth 37 points 14 hours ago

Is this really the blood of Christ? Man that guy must have been wasted 24/7

[-] acosmichippo@lemmy.world 10 points 14 hours ago

bro do you got any snacks to go with this

[-] ech@lemm.ee 11 points 13 hours ago

You can have one tasteless cracker.

[-] cybervseas@lemmy.world 5 points 14 hours ago

All I can offer is some fish and bread.

[-] Kraiden@kbin.earth 6 points 12 hours ago

It's all you can eat though, so there's that

[-] grue@lemmy.world 15 points 12 hours ago

No, because then the ATF will show up and shoot him.

[-] doingthestuff@lemmy.world 6 points 11 hours ago

Certainly any dogs nearby RIP

[-] grue@lemmy.world 2 points 9 hours ago

I mean, given that Jesús would not only be a brown hippie moonshiner, but also probably a damn Mexican furriner to boot, he'd be lucky if they didn't lay siege to the whole neighborhood, Waco-style.

[-] doingthestuff@lemmy.world 2 points 2 hours ago

In the Bible they wanted to kill him many times but he always slipped away. He wasn't arrested until he gave himself to the authorities. The ATF wouldn't catch him if he didn't want to be caught. But I'm sure they'd destroy lots of people, animals and property regardless.

[-] Shanedino@lemmy.world 2 points 7 hours ago* (last edited 7 hours ago)

Making water into wine was not something all that special, it used to basically be a concentrate that you would then add to water to consume. Shoutout to the history of Rome podcast. So he could make more and more deluted wine with more water but it wouldn't become more concentrated.

[-] nuggsy@lemmy.world 3 points 5 hours ago

Which podcast is that? You piqued my interest, but there seem to be a lot of podcasts about the history of Rome.

[-] Shanedino@lemmy.world 3 points 1 hour ago

"The history of Rome podcast" is literally the name.

[-] nuggsy@lemmy.world 1 points 42 minutes ago

I may have found it. Cheers!

[-] LesserAbe@lemmy.world 7 points 10 hours ago

Late one evening a boy and his father were accosted by a mugger. The traumatic moment unlocked some kind of latent power within the boy. Frantically he tried to intervene, skin touched skin, and the assailant's blood turned to wine, fatal. But not before the cretin dealt a terminal blow to the father. And that night that boy became the hero we all know, Jesus Christ.

[-] Windex007@lemmy.world 11 points 14 hours ago

No it is impossible for God to do that.

[-] ch00f@lemmy.world 1 points 9 hours ago

I wonder what the azeotrope for magically created alcohol is.

[-] Balthazar@lemmy.world 6 points 15 hours ago

If he indeed turned water into wine and made all things, why would he need to recurse as if he can't get it right the first time?

[-] acosmichippo@lemmy.world 9 points 14 hours ago

because he works in mysterious ways of course.

[-] baggachipz@sh.itjust.works 5 points 14 hours ago

Mmmm pass me more of that wine powder

[-] Kowowow@lemmy.ca 5 points 14 hours ago

Wouldn't it be an alcoholic paste?

[-] jewbacca117@lemmy.world 6 points 15 hours ago

Woah you might be on to something here

[-] oce@jlai.lu 5 points 15 hours ago

You just have to find another bodily fluid with the same color as the target alcohol.

[-] toomanypancakes@lemmy.world 7 points 14 hours ago

So if I'm looking for Baileys...

[-] swab148@lemm.ee 13 points 14 hours ago
[-] fuckingkangaroos@lemm.ee 2 points 56 minutes ago

That about as close to Baileys as I can get without getting my eyes wet

[-] TootSweet@lemmy.world 2 points 13 hours ago* (last edited 13 hours ago)

Jesus told me it doesn't have to be alcohol. He once turned piss into Mtn Dew. I've only ever done the opposite.

[-] HawlSera@lemm.ee 1 points 10 hours ago

Pretty much, and for anyone wondering if God could create a rock he couldn't lift...

The answer is still yes, and he is then unable to lift the rock, but able to remove the limitation preventing him from lifting the rock at any time.

[-] ininewcrow@lemmy.ca 2 points 15 hours ago

I think he ended up being Rasputin and invented vodka

[-] Illuminostro@lemmy.world -4 points 11 hours ago

It already exists. It's called "Brandy." Reading more than watching videos helps.

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
301 points (95.2% liked)

Showerthoughts

29282 readers
1323 users here now

A "Showerthought" is a simple term used to describe the thoughts that pop into your head while you're doing everyday things like taking a shower, driving, or just daydreaming. The best ones are thoughts that many people can relate to and they find something funny or interesting in regular stuff.

Rules

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS