top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] RizzRustbolt@lemmy.world 7 points 9 hours ago

People show up for the hazbin hotel panels?

[-] fsxylo@sh.itjust.works 4 points 1 hour ago

I'm confused, was that not a popular show?

[-] fubbernuckin@lemmy.world 21 points 15 hours ago

Can anyone provide any actual evidence that says this kind of thing makes children's lives worse? I was pretty uncensored as a kid and I'm honestly really grateful for it, i feel like it helped me adjust to the adult world well before my peers.

Honestly the things that got to me as a kid more than anything else was violence and the news. I recognized stuff like family guy to be fake and silly, but seeing and hearing about people getting killed or severely hurt in media and the news was sometimes traumatizing.

[-] Cornflake_Dog@lemmy.wtf 4 points 27 minutes ago

It's not only for the children's sake but also for the adults. Adult spaces are adult spaces meant for adults. Adult spaces bring people peace of mind when they know there won't be children around because they won't need to worry about a child's needs or behavior (and children can sometimes behave terribly). Having spaces that are child-free also mean adults can enjoy sharing in sensitive topics that children should not be privy to.

[-] ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net 58 points 14 hours ago

Nobody said it makes a child's life worse. They're not even talking about that.

It's about kids being in places made for adults.

Like bringing a kid to a bar.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Warl0k3@lemmy.world 120 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 23 hours ago)

Seriously, last ECCC someone tried to bring their kids in to the late-night 'how to photograph models in latex' panel. I just can't imagine what it must be like to be a person who not only thinks that's a fine idea (it was even listed as 18+ only) but thinks it's such a fine idea they should spend a solid five minutes angrily arguing with a volunteer about it.

(good panel though!)

I think the US in particular is way too uptight about nudity around children. But I still think it's wrong to bring your kids to events especially advertised as being adult-only.

[-] xkbx@startrek.website 88 points 21 hours ago

Weird, generally latex prevents children from getting in

[-] Sabre363@sh.itjust.works 25 points 21 hours ago

They went to the panel to learn how to use it properly

[-] CascadianGiraffe@lemmy.world 15 points 19 hours ago

That's why they put child suffocation warnings on it

[-] Fiivemacs@lemmy.ca 59 points 23 hours ago

Make a rule at the conventioans and prevent them from entering ..?

[-] Warl0k3@lemmy.world 75 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

Even at the bigger cons which have enough staff to police it, it's a damned difficult thing to do. You can't card everyone at the door, panel rooms have to be turned over as quickly as possible (and you can't force that kind of liability onto your volunteers), people are in costume or just look really young, and that's even ignoring the seemingly infinite technical issues that every convention is plagued with, etc. etc.

Not saying you're wrong, it's just not as simple as "telling them they can't". The kind of people that would bring their kid to a hazbin panel aren't the kind of people that will give a shit about the inconvenient convention rules in the first place.

Which brings me to my suggested solution: Make a rule about it and give every volunteer a cattle prod.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 12 points 15 hours ago

Wait, you think they care if the teenagers get in? We're talking about the elementary school kids.

[-] Warl0k3@lemmy.world 4 points 9 hours ago* (last edited 9 hours ago)

Eeh, more complicated than that. Enforcing age restrictions is an obnoxiously complex issue, even though by all reasonable measures it shouldn't be.

The #1 priority of a con is protecting its panelists & volunteers, and while keeping the panelists comfortable is a critical aspect, enforcement of the conditions they need for adult panels can be a logistical nightmare. It's why so many cons are moving away from having any adult oriented panels at all, and it's really sad to see that the most reasonable solution is to just not have them.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 2 points 6 hours ago

Yeah, at the end of the day though you have to set realistic expectations and if you can't round up the staff with that then you can't have it. Trying to card check everyone coming into the room would just take too long.

[-] Maestro@fedia.io 54 points 22 hours ago

There is a large gap between needing to card someone because the might be younger than 18, and someone bringing little kids. With the little kids you can point to the 18+ sign and just refuse entry.

[-] webghost0101@sopuli.xyz 15 points 22 hours ago

Also we should stop acting so prudent about sex in regards to teenagers.

If the attendees are not expecting to be involved in a sexual activity and a teenager is old enough to experience sexuality, acts mature, otherwise walk around without supervision and makes their own choices to visit such panel. What harm is their really?

With actual kids there is no doubt, they stick out where they don’t belong.

I would draw the line, i would look at wether or not there is doubt, and give benefit of the doubt to whoever acts mature.

[-] GBU_28@lemm.ee 35 points 21 hours ago

If the panel members are uncomfortable, it's their choice.

They aren't consenting to conducting adult discussion with kids around.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] GBU_28@lemm.ee 13 points 21 hours ago

You can card everyone. You're already carding their ticket.

Just state at purchase you must be X to enter.

And at the door.

Then when people enter: "ID and ticket please!"

load more comments (13 replies)
[-] cerement@slrpnk.net 27 points 23 hours ago

“Hazbin”, not “Habbo”

[-] NigelFrobisher@aussie.zone 3 points 4 hours ago

I thought this was Habbo Hotel. Never heard of whatever it actually is.

[-] 9bananas@lemmy.world 3 points 1 hour ago

hazbin hotel is an adult cartoon musical tv show about the daughter of satan trying to establish a hotel with the aim of rehabilitating the souls of sinners so they can enter heaven.

it's an excellent show! a lot of fun with a bunch of famous actors doing the voices/songs ;)

load more comments (3 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
396 points (97.6% liked)

People Twitter

5021 readers
3056 users here now

People tweeting stuff. We allow tweets from anyone.

RULES:

1. Mark NSFW content.
  2. No doxxing people.
  3. Must be a tweet or similar
  4. No bullying.
  5. Be excellent to each other.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS