Simone Margitelli's post on the find

Margitelli posted a screenshot that implies he submit this bug to Canonical and Red Hat, who rated the vulnerability to have a CVSS of 9.9. If this is true, this bug would be more critical than the infamous Heartbleed, Spectre, and Meltdown exploits. Information is really limited right now about this bug, and also somewhat contradictory. I cannot find a public statement from Red Hat or Canonical confirming the existance of this bug, but have yet to deny it. This is typical for an exploit of this magnitude. However, according to Security Online, both insitutions have confirmed its severity.

Full disclaimer, this thing could be totally overhyped/overblown right now. Its going to take a few weeks before all the information comes out. It wouldn't be the first time a vulnerability has been overhyped to pressure the dev into fixing it. In the mean time, Linux users should make sure to keep their systems up to date.

top 7 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] qqq@lemmy.world 12 points 14 hours ago* (last edited 14 hours ago)

This is a real exploit chain in cups-browsed. The tl;dr is that it will add basically anything that knows the correct protocol to your list of available printers, and this can be exploited for RCE if you print to the malicious printer. The service listens on all interfaces by default on UDP 631.

It is not as horrible as it was marketed, but it's real and not great. You may or may not have this service running by default; I didn't on Fedora.

His full write-up is here: https://www.evilsocket.net/2024/09/26/Attacking-UNIX-systems-via-CUPS-Part-I/

[-] InvertedParallax@lemm.ee 2 points 2 hours ago

Cups was due, too much functionality on too many systems, it needed to be more limited and secure by default.

[-] style99@lemm.ee 3 points 10 hours ago

Well, then...

sudo systemctl stop cups-browsed
sudo systemctl disable cups-browsed
[-] thesmokingman@programming.dev 21 points 1 day ago

The Security Online article only cites Margitelli’s post on the matter. My assumption has been the article used the post as its single source. On one hand, watching MS fuck shit up for years, I want to believe Margitelli. On the other hand, researchers using weird tools and uninterested in reality are why curl is now a CNA.

I’m personally frustrated with Margitelli’s post because it’s all about abandoning responsible disclosure globally rather than naming and shaming (Canonical? Red Hat? Both? Others? If it affects all GNU/Linux I’d expect every single distro maintainer to be named and shamed). Responsible disclosure is our best solution to make sure innocent bystanders don’t get caught in the crossfire. When specific entities don’t abide by responsible disclosure we lambast those specific entities not the entire process built to keep users safe.

[-] Alphane_Moon@lemmy.world 4 points 21 hours ago

I have zero knowledge about the details and processes involved in security issue disclosure and even I get the feeling something is off about Margitelli's post.

He can let his findings speak for themselves when they are responsibly disclosed (and then start the sensationalism).

[-] MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world 2 points 21 hours ago

It'll be out in a couple of weeks and then we'll know exactly which prick has mommy issues over their code

[-] mp3@lemmy.ca 4 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Suspicious how the Twitter and Instagram accounts went private since.

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
50 points (93.1% liked)

Technology

58269 readers
4971 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS