😬... (sh.itjust.works)
top 22 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] dohpaz42@lemmy.world 70 points 1 day ago

Back in 2016 (wow, almost a decade now…) I got a job with a group who used Word docs to email instructions on how to update your code with their changes. For example, “In file xyz.php, go to line 123 and replace with .”

One of my first tasks was getting that group set up with git. But I will never forget that was their best way to version control code… in 2016.

[-] BastingChemina@slrpnk.net 14 points 22 hours ago

I requested a code snippet and instructions for work, I got an email, with a word document attached.

In the word document there was a screenshot of the code I needed.

[-] dohpaz42@lemmy.world 6 points 21 hours ago

This only could’ve been better if this was a picture frame a phone of the monitor with the screenshot open in whatever the default screenshot app is for the is.

[-] floofloof@lemmy.ca 22 points 1 day ago

Was their office under a rock somewhere? How had none of them stumbled upon what every other programmer in the world does?

[-] Mobile@leminal.space 13 points 1 day ago

Man that's wild. There were devs sending these instructions?

[-] 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.works 6 points 1 day ago

To be honest, I sincerely doubt they were devs, maybe support staff... I mean, come on, I'm just an engineer and even I can think of a better way to do that, even if I absolutely must not use any CVS.

[-] drcobaltjedi@programming.dev 5 points 1 day ago

My first like real programming job, in 2019, version control was "download the project from the share drive, update the code, then add your new code back to the share with todays date in the folder name".

Everyone, except 1 dude liked SVN or mercurial, wanted the boss to just get us on git. It became the general standard for a reason. None of us liked the version control system we had, but HDD space was cheap so the boss wasn't that concerned.

[-] Rolando@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

I wouldn't do version control that way, but I've used Word to keep track of what I'm working on during integration tasks. It's nice because you can drop in code, error messages, and screen captures. E.g.: the tool looks like this: (image) but gives an error like this: (error message) and I think the problem is in file.py around lines XYZ: (code snippet) when I run the command (command used), and I think the answer is in (a couple links I found).

[-] 2pt_perversion@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

I've used word/onenote or FOSS equivalents the same way, they're fine as a scratchpad for notes. As you said it's nice being able to shove images in there. There are so many things that don't belong anywhere else that I will forget after even a half hour break.

[-] glimse@lemmy.world 23 points 1 day ago

Here I was thinking it was childhood depression that creates comedians but it was fetal alcohol syndrome all along

[-] embed_me@programming.dev 10 points 1 day ago

why not both

[-] BallsandBayonets@lemmings.world 11 points 1 day ago

Wine and cigarettes wouldn't do that to a baby. I'm not exactly sure what would. Conceiving the child with Satan himself, perhaps? Or any billionaire human? To get those levels of evil.

[-] floofloof@lemmy.ca 4 points 1 day ago

They're even doing an eager supervillain hand rub in the photo, delighting in the pain they're about to inflict.

[-] 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 day ago

Hope to god no one actually sees that video...

[-] BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca 2 points 22 hours ago

I expect they compile it like this:

g++ HelloWorld.docx.cpp -o hello.exe
[-] 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.works 1 points 21 hours ago

The docx is silent.

[-] blaue_Fledermaus@mstdn.io 4 points 1 day ago

At least it's the "only" editor that handles tabs correctly. Tabs are to go to the next tabstop, not advance a fixed amount.

[-] 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.works 3 points 1 day ago

I think LibreOffice Writer does that too.

[-] blaue_Fledermaus@mstdn.io 1 points 1 day ago
[-] 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 day ago

IDK, I haven't tried any other to be honest.

[-] veganpizza69@lemmy.vg 2 points 23 hours ago

In a pinch, if you don't have Word, try WordPad.

[-] palordrolap@fedia.io 3 points 21 hours ago
this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
390 points (99.0% liked)

Programmer Humor

19267 readers
2130 users here now

Welcome to Programmer Humor!

This is a place where you can post jokes, memes, humor, etc. related to programming!

For sharing awful code theres also Programming Horror.

Rules

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS