Tree’s resin, called ’tsori’ in Biblical texts, was highly prized in ancient world for its used in perfume, incense, cataract medicine, embalming agents, and antidotes

The resin of a tree grown from an ancient seed found in a desert cave near Jerusalem could be the source of a medicinal balm mentioned in the Bible, a new study has found.

The strange seed, about 2cm long, was discovered in a Judean Desert cave in the late 1980s, and dated to between 993AD and 1202AD. After years of attempting to grow the plant, researchers have identified the sapling nicknamed “Sheba”.

Researchers suspected the “Sheba” tree to be a candidate for the “Judean Balsam” or “Balm of Judea”, which was cultivated exclusively in the desert region of southern Levant during Biblical times.

The Judean Balsam has been extensively described in the literature from Hellenistic, Roman-Byzantine and Post-Classical periods between the 4th century BC and the 8th century AD.

top 42 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 55 points 1 day ago

used in perfume, incense, cataract medicine

"I hear you're having trouble seeing. Put this perfume in your eye."

[-] FuglyDuck@lemmy.world 21 points 1 day ago

Well. It can’t all be snake oil.

I mean people get suspicious of snake oil literally cures… like… everything…

[-] Hegar@fedia.io 26 points 1 day ago

The funny thing is that actual chinese snake oil was incredibly effective at alleviating things like joint pain or some skin conditions. It has higher concentrations of omega 3s than fish oil and has even been shown to help mice learn mazes faster.

That's why grifters selling fake medicine all claimed it was snake oil - people already wanted snake oil because they knew it worked.

[-] DrBob@lemmy.ca 12 points 1 day ago

Eyes aspirin suspiciously...pain reduction, anti-inflammatory, blood thinner, fever reduction. All-in-one package?

[-] FuglyDuck@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

Basically all medication has side effects.

Aspirin works by blocking production of cyclooxygenase, which, causes platelets not to produce thromboxane A2, effectively permanently rendering affected platelets useless.

COX also reduces productions of prostaglandins which mediates pain- basically, causing your nerves to pay attention to pain signals. (I’m sure some one who’s actually a doctor or nurse is swearing at me by now…) and also triggers more inflammation.

COX also increases production of PGE2 (another prostaglandin,) which is what triggers the fever response.

This is how most NSAIDs work, though they each have other side effects, that are different from the others.

[-] BalooWasWahoo@links.hackliberty.org 6 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 23 hours ago)

doctor or nurse is swearing at me by now

The people who interact with patients think you're great. Give people some info and make it easy to understand. It's the Ph.D. fella who did his thesis on cellular signaling focusing on nociceptor differences in distal/medial loci.

>.>

<.<

[-] lizzyism@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago

Yes, willow bark is incredible!

[-] Postmortal_Pop@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

To add even more nonsense, you can get it naturally from the soft Underbark of willow trees.Literally eating this bark makes pain go away.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

You're generally supposed to make tea from the bark. Eating it would not be pleasant.

So you're saying the bark is worse if you bite?

[-] Deceptichum@quokk.au 8 points 1 day ago

I mean people thought bleach could cure Covid…

[-] DrBob@lemmy.ca 6 points 23 hours ago

Well it does ..but the side effects are killer.

[-] JaymesRS@literature.cafe 2 points 20 hours ago* (last edited 20 hours ago)

By the same metric, neck tourniquets work wonders for headaches.

[-] corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca 3 points 22 hours ago

To be clear, only a few people of a particular sort thought that.

[-] snaggen@programming.dev 3 points 1 day ago

Yes, historical medicin was so good, lets work our ass off to recreate it...

[-] Assman@sh.itjust.works 1 points 4 hours ago

Many pharmaceuticals origate as natural remedies. You think they just came up with synthetic drugs out of thin air?

[-] snaggen@programming.dev 1 points 4 hours ago

No, but the process to identify the ones that work is all part of the modern medicine. Before that, placebo and lack of scientific methods made it impossible to separate a working substance from snake oil.

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 15 points 1 day ago

That's how I feel every time someone touts "traditional Chinese medicine." Sure, ancient peoples knew about certain cures... they also didn't understand basic concepts like viruses.

[-] Arsecroft@lemmy.sdf.org 13 points 23 hours ago

What do you call alternative medicine that has been proven to work?

medicine

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 6 points 23 hours ago

Exactly. My dad had and I have a painful nerve condition called trigeminal neuralgia. My dad was desperate to try anything, so he tried acupuncture. I asked him if it helped with the pain and he told me, "no, but the acupuncturist said it did." And then I asked him what it felt like, and he said, "it felt like someone stuck a lot of needles in my face."

[-] Drusas@fedia.io 1 points 13 hours ago

My dad has lingering (in fact, worsened now that he's getting older) pain and contortions and his foot that was nearly severed when he was a teenager. He's very much not into alternative medicine and that sort of thing, but he finally decided to try acupuncture about two years ago. He says it helped. Only thing that has helped.

I'm still skeptical, but I'm a little bit less skeptical because he's the sort to be skeptical of it as well.

[-] dharmacurious@slrpnk.net 2 points 22 hours ago

Jumping in to ask if you've tried carbomazapine (sp?) for the TN? My mom suffered for nearly 2 years with face shocks, sometimes dozens of times per day. That med is the only thing that helped, and we never had a doctor suggest it. I did my own research by looking up medical journals on my school's library and then asked the doc to prescribe it for her. Almost instant relief

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 1 points 22 hours ago

Thanks, but mine is already handled via medication.

[-] billiam0202@lemmy.world 2 points 20 hours ago

For people who hate the greed of the pharma industry, it's really amazing to see just how little logic it takes to destroy their arguments:

You know how we know ground-up rhino horn doesn't cure your dick problems? Because Pfizer or GlaxoSmithKline or Bayer aren't spending billions on rhino sanctuaries.

[-] tunetardis@lemmy.ca 22 points 1 day ago

Articles like this really float my boat! It reminds me a bit of the discovery of the Wollemi Pine in Australia.

[-] BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee 18 points 23 hours ago

Jumping in to share another article. Silphium may have been rediscovered!

[-] psmgx@lemmy.world 6 points 23 hours ago

Silphium (also known as laserwort or laser; Ancient Greek: σίλφιον, sílphion) is an unidentified plant that was used in classical antiquity as a seasoning, perfume, aphrodisiac, and medicine.[

Hell yeah laserwort

[-] CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org 3 points 21 hours ago

Nooo! Amazing if true.

Unfortunately this appears to be an archive of a paywall.

[-] BarrelAgedBoredom@lemm.ee 1 points 19 hours ago

Sorry! Worked fine for me. I'll see if I can't put a different link up

[-] CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org 2 points 19 hours ago* (last edited 19 hours ago)

It's alright, someone else already did. I'm skeptical, it sounds like there's genetic evidence it's of central Asian origin.

[-] tunetardis@lemmy.ca 4 points 22 hours ago

Thanks! I hadn't heard about that one. Here another article on it. Wow.

[-] CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org 1 points 21 hours ago* (last edited 21 hours ago)

Ah, okay. That is a striking looking vine, but nothing is mentioned about it being tasty, and it's genetically related to other Central Asian plants, according to a study cited on Wikipedia.

[-] username_unavailable@lemmy.world 11 points 23 hours ago

Seed companies trying to say you can use seeds you bought last year...

[-] SlothMama@lemmy.world 5 points 20 hours ago

I did the same thing with the ancient seed in Stardew Valley

[-] OrkneyKomodo@lemmy.sdf.org 3 points 18 hours ago

The cookie options on that site are fucked up.

[-] quinacridone@lemmy.ml 17 points 1 day ago

As a perfume nerd I'd love to know what this smells like, and when it'll be used to create a new niche fragrance

[-] AnarchistArtificer@slrpnk.net 1 points 6 hours ago

What's your favourite scent/scent note? (Either scent to work with if you make perfumes, or just something you personally enjoy for your own use)

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 13 points 1 day ago
[-] quinacridone@lemmy.ml 21 points 1 day ago

There are several active and very passionate communities online including Fragrantica and Basenotes.....things can get incredibly nerdy when discussing perfume, believe it or not 😀

There's also a fragrance community here on lemmy but I think it's all but dead now...

[-] FlyingSquid@lemmy.world 6 points 1 day ago

Neat. Anyone with a passion for specialized knowledge (assuming they don't do anything unethical obviously) has my respect.

[-] corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca 2 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

I'd love to know [...] when it'll be used to create a new niche fragrance

Easy Satan. Let's not kill it off again after some vapid Kardashian promotes it.

"Earthy. Sandy. dreamy. Hugo Pharaoh for your king or queen. Available at Macy's and all fine retailers today. As seen on Kardashiana; season 3 extruding now."

[-] chazwhiz@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

There’s a Stardew Valley joke here somewhere

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
145 points (93.9% liked)

World News

38627 readers
2770 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world

Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS