submitted 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago) by sirico@feddit.uk to c/games@lemmy.world
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] yamanii@lemmy.world 12 points 9 hours ago

It's really a sad seeing Ubisoft going from a trendsetter up until Far Cry 3, to being a failed trend chaser.

[-] drunkpostdisaster@lemmy.world 18 points 12 hours ago

Why don't they just start using ai to generate games? Its cheaper and no one will notice.

[-] beebarfbadger@lemmy.world 7 points 10 hours ago

They're instead letting an AI generate their stock price. It is a number now.

[-] Grandwolf319@sh.itjust.works 27 points 16 hours ago

“Tanked”

Checks graph

19% is a hit but I wouldn’t call it tanked.

Some stocks are just volatile. Here is the full history:

[-] Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com 6 points 2 hours ago

A drop this severe is tanking. Even with a stock history like the one from Ubisoft.

[-] ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net 23 points 14 hours ago

Whenever I see social media say something dropped/jumped, I do the same thing as you - I visit the portfolio and take a birds eye view.

I still think about the one time redditors celebrated a company's stock dropping by 90% over the last day.

But what the picture left out was how the company was climbing by 1000% in a week before dropping.

[-] merthyr1831@lemmy.ml 10 points 15 hours ago

did ubisoft make face masks or something wtf happened in 2020

[-] trankillity@lemmy.world 7 points 8 hours ago

WTF you think happened in 2020? No one could leave their house, so video game went gang busters.

I worked at a video game retailer then, and it was the busiest we've ever been.

[-] Zahille7@lemmy.world 12 points 15 hours ago

I think people were just bored out of their minds

[-] Draegur@lemm.ee 158 points 21 hours ago

Ubisoft will have to get used to people not owning their games.

[-] Mango@lemmy.world 8 points 16 hours ago
[-] whotookkarl@lemmy.world 19 points 16 hours ago
[-] xavier666@lemm.ee 7 points 12 hours ago* (last edited 5 hours ago)

They should be comfortable with people not owning their stocks

[-] Hadriscus@lemm.ee 1 points 8 hours ago

👏👏👏

[-] obinice@lemmy.world 33 points 19 hours ago

You can make any graph look bad if you control the axis bounds weirdly like this.

Not that I have good things to say about ubisoft, but at a glance one would assume their stock value plummeted to zero, which is not the case.

[-] HeavyRaptor@lemmy.zip 45 points 18 hours ago

This was also my initial take but look at these graphs with the Y axis starting from 0 Stock lost 67% value in the last year alone, and lost 85% in the past 5 years. Looks pretty dire to me. I would say this is undervalued but I have no confidence in the ubi leadership to turn it around.

[-] Croquette@sh.itjust.works 6 points 11 hours ago

Might be that the CEO and upper management are dumb fucks running the company to the ground.

No more innovation, just microtransactions in shitty games, and the same old rehashed concepts.

[-] omarfw@lemmy.world 1 points 57 minutes ago* (last edited 56 minutes ago)

I saw an anecdote from someone who used to work there and they said their infrastructure and resources were outdated as hell. Basically zero support or investment from leadership. Those corpos are intentionally just trying to milk them and the customers dry before total collapse or a buyout.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] WaylandHater26@lemmy.zip 2 points 11 hours ago

Was ubisoft ever okay though? They always have problems going on whether it be a hostile takeover or this, but they always bounce back somehow surprisingly.

[-] Eiri@lemmy.ca 9 points 16 hours ago

Has something in particular been happening lately? I feel like Ubisoft has sucked for quite a while, but their stock price was fine until relatively recently, right?

[-] DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social 3 points 13 hours ago

If games sucking was the same thing as games being unprofitable gaming would be in better shape.

[-] dustyData@lemmy.world 205 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I hate graphs that don't start the Y axis at zero.

That said, fuck ubisoft.

[-] huginn@feddit.it 103 points 1 day ago

That's pretty normal for financial charts like this though.

load more comments (25 replies)
load more comments (5 replies)
[-] Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca 25 points 21 hours ago* (last edited 21 hours ago)

It's been tanking for a lot longer than that

[-] GhiLA@sh.itjust.works 16 points 19 hours ago

lol, it looks like a cryptocurrency chart.

[-] UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world 10 points 18 hours ago

I wish. Crypto has been depressingly buoyant.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] Katana314@lemmy.world 64 points 1 day ago

I am curious if the games community has anything positive to say about major publishers at this point.

It’s fun to laugh at one failure, and it’s nice we still get occasional great indie hits. But when most major publishers fail to turn out anything of interest, and even Sony is kind of reaching vanishing expectations amid remasters of remasters, it becomes hard to even suggest what to buy an unknowledgeable kid for Christmas.

[-] delitomatoes@lemm.ee 4 points 13 hours ago

Japanese publishers retain staff because every Japanese company does, they don't pay as well but you get life time job stability. Capcom is on a roll, Sega still has RGG, Bandai Namco has Fromsoft. They have the chokehold on jrpgs. And finally Nintendo is still king

[-] drunkpostdisaster@lemmy.world 2 points 11 hours ago

I regret buying my ps5 so much.

[-] arefx@lemmy.ml 1 points 3 hours ago

I'm not saying this to be a dick, I would just like to add, no regrets on building my PC.

[-] Wolfram@lemmy.world 30 points 21 hours ago

I'd say I'm happy that AAA companies are reaping what they sow from listening to their dumbass stakeholders.

load more comments (5 replies)
load more comments (13 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
463 points (94.1% liked)

Games

31886 readers
2990 users here now

Welcome to the largest gaming community on Lemmy! Discussion for all kinds of games. Video games, tabletop games, card games etc.

Weekly Threads:

What Are You Playing?

The Weekly Discussion Topic

Rules:

1. Submissions have to be related to games

2. No bigotry or harassment, be civil

3. No excessive self-promotion

4. Stay on-topic; no memes, funny videos, giveaways, reposts, or low-effort posts

5. Mark Spoilers and NSFW

6. No linking to piracy

More information about the community rules can be found here.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS