top 9 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] ms_lane@lemmy.world 19 points 1 day ago

DW blocks countries outside Europe, so if you can't load the page, I've pasted the story below

A former Japanese boxer convicted more than 50 years ago of killing his boss and family was acquitted by a Japanese court on Thursday.

Shizuoka District Court ruled that 88-year-old Iwao Hakamada was innocent, in a retrial that was granted 10 years ago. The court's presiding judge, Koshi Kunii, said the court acknowledged multiple fabrications of evidence and that Hakamada was not the culprit, according to broadcaster NHK.

Hakamada is the fifth death row inmate granted a retrial in Japan's post-war history. All four previous cases also resulted in acquittals.

Hundreds of people queued in the morning at the court to try and secure a seat for the verdict in what has become a high-profile case that has gripped the nation.

A long battle to clear his name - In 1968, Hakamada was convicted of the murder of a company director and three of his family members two years before. He at first denied the crime, but confessed after what he later described as a brutal police interrogation that included beatings.

He was sentenced to death but lengthy appeals and the retrial process led to the postponement of his execution. A first appeal for a retrial was dismissed by a court 27 years after his sentencing. The latest retrial, which was finally approved by the court in 2023 after a second appeal was filed in 2008 by his sister, Hideko Hakamada, now 91, began in October.

Japan is the only major industrialized democracy other than the United States to retain capital punishment. As of December, 107 prisoners were waiting for their death sentences to be carried out. The method used for execution is always hanging.

[-] VeganCheesecake@lemmy.blahaj.zone 4 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 18 hours ago)

Do they? To my knowledge, providing news for the world is pretty much their declared purpose.

[-] can@sh.itjust.works 2 points 14 hours ago
[-] VeganCheesecake@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 9 hours ago* (last edited 9 hours ago)

Yeah, I've tried from a lot of different VPN locations. Wasn't able to find any DW is blocked in.

[-] ms_lane@lemmy.world 2 points 8 hours ago

Times-out here in Aus on multiple ISPs (Exetel/Superloop, Telstra and Optus)

Having a look now though, it seems to just bounce between be12194.ccr41.ams03.atlas.cogentco.com and be5160.ccr42.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com

Also it takes the most harebrained route, rather than going the speedy way up through Singapore>Middle East>Europe, it goes out to Japan > USA, LA > Phoenix, AZ > El Paso, TX > Dallas/Fort Worth > Atlanta > DC > London UK > Amsterdam <> France

Thanks Cogent.

Regardless, without a VPN to Germany I couldn't read the article due to bad routing.

[-] biggerbogboy@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 hour ago

Hmm, works for me in Aus, maybe since the ISP bs doesn't happen with TPG.

[-] VeganCheesecake@lemmy.blahaj.zone 1 points 5 hours ago

Works for me with a VPN to Australia, so yeah, probably just ISPs being shit. Nothing new, I guess.

[-] Deceptichum@quokk.au 18 points 1 day ago

At least he gets to spend his last year or so a free man. What a waste of a life.

DW News - News Source Context (Click to view Full Report)Information for DW News:

MBFC: Left-Center - Credibility: High - Factual Reporting: High - Germany
Wikipedia about this source

Search topics on Ground.Newshttps://www.dw.com/en/japan-acquits-world-s-longest-serving-death-row-prisoner/a-70327319
Media Bias Fact Check | bot support

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
77 points (98.7% liked)

World News

38627 readers
2994 users here now

A community for discussing events around the World

Rules:

We ask that the users report any comment or post that violate the rules, to use critical thinking when reading, posting or commenting. Users that post off-topic spam, advocate violence, have multiple comments or posts removed, weaponize reports or violate the code of conduct will be banned.

All posts and comments will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This means that some content that violates the rules may be allowed, while other content that does not violate the rules may be removed. The moderators retain the right to remove any content and ban users.

Lemmy World Partners

News !news@lemmy.world

Politics !politics@lemmy.world

World Politics !globalpolitics@lemmy.world

Recommendations

For Firefox users, there is media bias / propaganda / fact check plugin.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-bias-fact-check/

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS