Rail (slrpnk.net)
top 26 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] bbuez@lemmy.world 23 points 18 hours ago
[-] glaber@lemm.ee 4 points 16 hours ago
[-] ouRKaoS@lemmy.today 1 points 14 hours ago
  • Girls in Sundresses
[-] Semi_Hemi_Demigod@lemmy.world 5 points 18 hours ago

I'm not afraid of flying. I'm too big for the planes. Trains are much nicer for people more than two standard deviations taller than average.

[-] Thann@lemmy.ml 13 points 1 day ago

High โœ…

Speed โœ…

Rail โœ…

[-] NoSpiritAnimal@lemmy.world 11 points 1 day ago

Oh no they're all me

[-] lightnsfw@reddthat.com 2 points 18 hours ago

I just want to see what happens when a bullet train hits a moose.

[-] ShinkanTrain@lemmy.ml 54 points 1 day ago

You listed "Transit Enthusiasts" and "Bottoms" as if that isn't the same thing

[-] H4rdStyl3z@lemmy.ml 17 points 1 day ago

How dare you be 100% correct

[-] MrKurteous@feddit.nu 5 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 23 hours ago)

Haha I'm scared of sounding like I don't like high speed rail, which I do! I love trains in general, I'm interrailing right now! Buuut I felt this was a relevant place to link this fascinating article (slightly click-baity headline) about how high speed rail in Europe is actually not constructed in a very good way, because it ends up eliminating many of the positive sides with the European railway network: https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2013/12/high-speed-trains-are-killing-the-european-railway-network/

Edit: fixed typo

[-] mondoman712@lemmy.ml 8 points 23 hours ago

The problem isn't how they're constructed, it's how they're run, and this article is basically just complaining about SNCF without realising it. They run bad timetables and aim for high occupancy rather than transporting more people. Jon Worth has better writing on the topic IMO.

[-] absentbird@lemm.ee 1 points 23 hours ago

Is it really hurting the low speed networks? I would imagine there are many stations that high speed rail doesn't go to. Let goods travel long distance low speed, let people go fast.

[-] NegativeInf@lemmy.world 30 points 1 day ago
[-] sharkfucker420@lemmy.ml 27 points 1 day ago

I love seeing these memes and checking how many apply to me

[-] Butterbee@beehaw.org 11 points 1 day ago

I haven't quite checked off cocaine addicts yet.. but I think every other box may or may not be at least somewhat applicable.

[-] tetris11@lemmy.ml 4 points 1 day ago

I'm 5 out of 8. I won't say which.

[-] averyminya@beehaw.org 8 points 1 day ago

If only it were true.

Source: California voting for the Hyperloop in 2008

[-] Cowbee@lemmy.ml 6 points 1 day ago

It's definitely true, California is just governed by right-wingers.

[-] SatyrSack@lemmy.one 15 points 1 day ago

I would assume a cocaine addict actually wants a high-cocaine rail.

[-] MrMcGasion@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

A high-coke rail off a hand rail on high-speed rail.

[-] bhamlin@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

Hold on, I can only breathe so deeply...

[-] Annoyed_Crabby@monyet.cc 3 points 1 day ago

Fuck i hate train

mission

[-] 56_@lemmy.ml -3 points 1 day ago* (last edited 20 hours ago)

From my experience, environmentalists don't like large construction projects of any kind.

Edit: This comment is based on growing up with environmentalist parents who strongly dislike HS2.

[-] Phineaz@feddit.org 13 points 1 day ago

It depends on the kind. There are groups that would prefer to see human presence reduced to a speck so nature can thrive. There are groups that somehow care for one single bog or meadow but fail to see the bigger picture. There are also those that simply want to protect everything and do support large projects provided they fulfill a lot of regulations. There are also people such as myself who have given themselves to Realpolitik: Local environmentalism is pointless if global protection fails (some drama added for effect)

[-] 56_@lemmy.ml 1 points 19 hours ago

There are groups that somehow care for one single bog or meadow but fail to see the bigger picture

This is mainly what I was thinking about. People care a lot more about things local to them, rather than a railway which probably won't have any nearby stations.

[-] Track_Shovel@slrpnk.net 16 points 1 day ago

Funny, as I'm a staunch environmentalist, and I'm fine with large projects if they have a few things:

• a purpose that serves society (and not just shareholders)
  • a plan for mitigating environmental impacts (e.g., and environmental impact assessment --> environmental management plans)
  • A compensation and offsetting plan for impacts that can't be mitigated
  • A plan for closure and reclamation
this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
414 points (97.0% liked)

Fuck Cars

9692 readers
897 users here now

This community exists as a sister community/copycat community to the r/fuckcars subreddit.

This community exists for the following reasons:

You can find the Matrix chat room for this community here.

Rules

1. Be nice to each other. Being aggressive or inflammatory towards other users will get you banned. Name calling or obvious trolling falls under that. Hate cars, hate the system, but not people. While some drivers definitely deserve some hate, most of them didn't choose car-centric life out of free will.

2. No bigotry or hate. Racism, transphobia, misogyny, ableism, homophobia, chauvinism, fat-shaming, body-shaming, stigmatization of people experiencing homeless or substance users, etc. are not tolerated. Don't use slurs. You can laugh at someone's fragile masculinity without associating it with their body. The correlation between car-culture and body weight is not an excuse for fat-shaming.

3. Stay on-topic. Submissions should be on-topic to the externalities of car culture in urban development and communities globally. Posting about alternatives to cars and car culture is fine. Don't post literal car fucking.

4. No traffic violence. Do not post depictions of traffic violence. NSFW or NSFL posts are not allowed. Gawking at crashes is not allowed. Be respectful to people who are a victim of traffic violence or otherwise traumatized by it. News articles about crashes and statistics about traffic violence are allowed. Glorifying traffic violence will get you banned.

5. No reposts. Before sharing, check if your post isn't a repost. Reposts that add something new are fine. Reposts that are sharing content from somewhere else are fine too.

6. No misinformation. Masks and vaccines save lives during a pandemic, climate change is real and anthropogenic - and denial of these and other established facts will get you banned. False or highly speculative titles will get your post deleted.

7. No harassment. Posts that (may) cause harassment, dogpiling or brigading, intentionally or not, will be removed. Please do not post screenshots containing uncensored usernames. Actual harassment, dogpiling or brigading is a bannable offence.

Please report posts and comments that violate our rules.

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS