I noticed today that my caffeine tolerance seems to be really low while recovering from a tonsillectomy, is this plausible? What about other surgeries?

I remember hearing a while back about mouth tissues absorbing chemicals very readily.

top 9 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] AA5B@lemmy.world 10 points 21 hours ago

How long were you off caffeine for the surgery? I believe it only takes a couple days for your body to lose its tolerance

[-] Toes@ani.social 2 points 22 hours ago

I suspect that the anesthesia may have influenced your caffeine tolerance.

I tried to find a paper to support that idea but a lot of it is behind paywalls. So explore that possibility if you are interested.

I don't think it's the open wounds allowing more caffeine in.

[-] aramus@lemmy.world 2 points 7 hours ago

Sci-Hub ๐Ÿ‘

[-] southsamurai@sh.itjust.works 12 points 1 day ago

Ahhh, it shouldn't change absorption. I can't be certain, but there's no reason that it should purely because of a tonsillectomy.

I would suspect some kind of medication interaction before any changes to absorption.

If anything, the inflammation would be more likely to decrease the amounts absorbed orally.

That would go for any surgery I can think of.

The caveat being that I'm not a doctor, much less an oral surgeon.

But I'm sitting here running through things in my head that might cause a change in perceived caffeine affect. I still think the most likely cause would be changes brought on by whatever anaesthetic was used, or post surgical medications.

Could be the empty stomach and/or having previous caffeine out of your system entirely, but that would only be the case if you're a fairly steady coffee drinker, but not a heavy one. Someone that's mainlining lifer's juice would have such high tolerance it wouldn't change at all. A light drinker, say a small cup with breakfast might notice a change post surgery, but it's a pretty dubious might.

I dunno, that's all I got.

[-] sp3tr4l@lemmy.zip 2 points 1 day ago

Could having open wounds in your mouth allow caffeine in a beverage to directly enter your blood stream much more quickly than when it is processed by your digestive system?

[-] southsamurai@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 day ago

If you have a wound open enough for the coffee to get into the bloodstream directly, you won't be drinking anything, much less coffee. But the amounts you'd be able to get in that way, it would be negligible. Not enough to have any increase in the effects of caffeine for sure.

Tbh, even if you're holding the coffee in your mouth, have an open wound, and are applying pressure you force the coffee into the wound, you're talking a drop of actual coffee that would get into your system. There's not enough caffeine in that to do anything compared to swallowing the mouthful instead.

It's one of those things where you'd have to jump through so many hoops you get even a single sip of coffee into the bloodstream through the mouth that it might as well be impossible. Just holding the coffee in there and letting any of the chemicals in it get into your system passively through absorption would net you a higher amount of caffeine than trying to get it in the capillaries more directly.

[-] flambonkscious@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 day ago

Maybe? But mouths heal so damn fast - and getting hot coffee on a wound sounds nasty

[-] sp3tr4l@lemmy.zip 1 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

It could be a cool or lukewarm beverage with caffeine, and I have seen people drink and eat stuff their dentists tell them not to after an oral surgery, and tonsilectomies can leave open wounds if the dentist doesn't fully cauterize them or bandage them properly... and I have also seen people remove bandages/gauze faster than they are instructed to for all kinds of wounds...

But southsamurai seems confident that the difference between absorption into exposed oral capillaries and just normally through your gums/mouth is negligible.

[-] flambonkscious@sh.itjust.works 2 points 19 hours ago

Good points, indeed

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
32 points (100.0% liked)

No Stupid Questions

35369 readers
853 users here now

No such thing. Ask away!

!nostupidquestions is a community dedicated to being helpful and answering each others' questions on various topics.

The rules for posting and commenting, besides the rules defined here for lemmy.world, are as follows:

Rules (interactive)

Rule 1- All posts must be legitimate questions. All post titles must include a question.

All posts must be legitimate questions, and all post titles must include a question. Questions that are joke or trolling questions, memes, song lyrics as title, etc. are not allowed here. See Rule 6 for all exceptions.

Rule 2- Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material.

Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material. You will be warned first, banned second.

Rule 3- Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here.

Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here. Breaking this rule will not get you or your post removed, but it will put you at risk, and possibly in danger.

Rule 4- No self promotion or upvote-farming of any kind.

That's it.

Rule 5- No baiting or sealioning or promoting an agenda.

Questions which, instead of being of an innocuous nature, are specifically intended (based on reports and in the opinion of our crack moderation team) to bait users into ideological wars on charged political topics will be removed and the authors warned - or banned - depending on severity.

Rule 6- Regarding META posts and joke questions.

Provided it is about the community itself, you may post non-question posts using the [META] tag on your post title.

On fridays, you are allowed to post meme and troll questions, on the condition that it's in text format only, and conforms with our other rules. These posts MUST include the [NSQ Friday] tag in their title.

If you post a serious question on friday and are looking only for legitimate answers, then please include the [Serious] tag on your post. Irrelevant replies will then be removed by moderators.

Rule 7- You can't intentionally annoy, mock, or harass other members.

If you intentionally annoy, mock, harass, or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathiser or a resemblant of a movement that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of a group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you will be banned on sight.

Rule 8- All comments should try to stay relevant to their parent content.

Rule 9- Reposts from other platforms are not allowed.

Let everyone have their own content.

Rule 10- Majority of bots aren't allowed to participate here.

Credits

Our breathtaking icon was bestowed upon us by @Cevilia!

The greatest banner of all time: by @TheOneWithTheHair!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS