top 19 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Skeleton_Erisma@hexbear.net 20 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I saw this meme on assbook (becos I got harangued into opening one to manage the museum page) and everyone said something along the effect of:

nerd well ackshually rich people pay taxes to use them

Absolute bootlickers

[-] FuckyWucky@hexbear.net 8 points 1 day ago

this is the problem with 'tax' arguments, you don't look at how much land and water is being wasted.

[-] EllenKelly@hexbear.net 12 points 1 day ago

the more i think about the preserving history mindset the harder it is to detach it from the reactionary tradition point.

This is a shit source but i cbf finding anything better rn

New housing for 'new' people

In the majority of cases, the reconstruction of old aristocratic and merchant mansions, as well as tenement buildings, was necessary in order to modernize and adapt them to new functions. The first wave of these renovations took place in the 1920-1930s, when the newly established Soviet authorities urgently needed to resolve a housing shortage. They began putting additional stories on three- and four-story buildings that usually housed dormitories or administrative offices

https://www.rbth.com/arts/332068-moscow-historical-buildings

golf courses with their irrigation networks and open spaces can be so easily made into more usable parks and market gardens. I do hate golf, i do like old buildings

something that's really getting me at the moment is seeing the australian government destroy public housing infrastructure in the name of accessibility, using disabled people as a shield and a cudgel.

Tear down Parliament, tear down the prime ministers residence.

[-] someone@hexbear.net 10 points 1 day ago* (last edited 20 hours ago)

If I were to win the lottery, I'd buy a locally-popular golf course and immediately convert the club house into a soup kitchen and no-pay community space, and let the grounds mostly return to nature. Maybe do a lot of tree planting. I'd keep some nice walking paths and a few big clearings for events like modest-size music festivals or just general casual park stuff. And some skateparks. And I'd put in multiple new mini-golf courses within eyeshot of as many surrounding houses as I can because I love mini-golf.

Longer term, I'd settle in for the legal fights from supremely pissed-off people in the surrounding community because they would be bound to be epic.

Update: oh, and basketball courts! Can't believe I forgot those.

[-] bortsampson@hexbear.net 7 points 1 day ago

Ah golf. Good Wii game, sucks irl.

[-] DragonBallZinn@hexbear.net 4 points 1 day ago

And makes for a fine Pizza Tower level too! peppino-suave

[-] regul@hexbear.net 10 points 1 day ago

Depends on your definition of "historic". Just because a building is old doesn't mean it's historic, and the bottom line is that no building is more important than unsheltered people.

[-] sharkfucker420@lemmy.ml 13 points 1 day ago

Of course, I just want to see golf courses destroyed

[-] SorosFootSoldier@hexbear.net 10 points 1 day ago

A good round of golf is like a good round of sex, and I hate both.

[-] BobDole@hexbear.net 11 points 1 day ago

volcel-judge our strongest soldier!

[-] anarcho_blinkenist@hexbear.net 6 points 1 day ago

Golf is a good walk spoilt

[-] Dessa@hexbear.net 5 points 1 day ago

I live near a lake that was partially drained so they could add room for a golf course. It makes me so mad

[-] PointAndClique@hexbear.net 7 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Golf courses are often built on floodplains, so tbh converting them into protected grassland/wetlands/carbon sinks may be better than building dense housing in flood prone areas. But ofc case by case basis according to topography

[-] Dessa@hexbear.net 4 points 1 day ago

What would be involved in converting them back into flood plains?

[-] PointAndClique@hexbear.net 2 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

It's not my field of expertise but not much I'd imagine - floodplains are usually low lying flat areas that flood waters will settle in anyways given expected rainfall patterns, and/or due to their proximity to rivers, levees, lakes and dams. You'd dismantle whatever infrastructure was in-place (irrigation systems, filtration, the club house) and let it re-wild.

[-] sewer_rat_420@hexbear.net 6 points 1 day ago

My biggest red flag is that I am a golf enjoyer.

But of course fuck most golf courses that are terribly inefficient land uses. And especially fuck suburbs built around a giant beautiful green gof course in a desert

[-] bigbrowncommie69@hexbear.net 5 points 1 day ago

There only needs to be one gold course within a given hundred mile radius. Make it a public course that anyone can use. The rest though, make into public parks or into housing like this meme says.

Tho tbh, it's good to tear down older buildings and build newer ones. Healthier for the people in them, require less maintenance. Under communism, houses shouldn't last longer than 70 years.

[-] theturtlemoves@hexbear.net 9 points 1 day ago

Old buildings, particularly stone ones, can stand for centuries with good maintanence. I've seen so many cases of old (100yo) buildings standing in much better shape than newer (20-30yo) ones.

[-] bigbrowncommie69@hexbear.net 5 points 1 day ago

They can stand but it's the other stuff that's difficult - plumbing, electrics, the things people will need renovated quite often. New builds definitely need to be good quality though. I know a lot of housing in the US are basically made of paper.

this post was submitted on 26 Sep 2024
164 points (100.0% liked)

memes

22678 readers
449 users here now

dank memes

Rules:

1. All posts must be memes and follow a general meme setup.

2. No unedited webcomics.

3. Someone saying something funny or cringe on twitter/tumblr/reddit/etc. is not a meme. Post that stuff in !the_dunk_tank@www.hexbear.net, it's a great comm.

4. Va*sh posting is haram and will be removed.

5. Follow the code of conduct.

6. Tag OC at the end of your title and we'll probably pin it for a while if we see it.

7. Recent reposts might be removed.

8. Tagging OC with the hexbear watermark is praxis.

9. No anti-natalism memes. See: Eco-fascism Primer

founded 3 years ago
MODERATORS