submitted 1 day ago by ryujin470@fedia.io to c/asklemmy@lemmy.ml

What media have art styles that are very hard to learn and reproduce (only modern media, no ancient painters)?

top 3 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Moonguide@lemmy.ml 6 points 1 day ago

How modern? Because there's lots of artist from the late XXth who had interesting and recognizable styles that are hard to replicate, both in style and vibe. Moebius (Jean Giraud) comes to mind. It is deceptively simple, but to replicate it you need to have a solid grasp on character design, stipple shading and crosshatching, color theory, and composition. It's not traditional comic-book style, and you cannot approach it with that mindset and expect a good outcome.

Current artists, I suppose the artists behind Valorant's art? There's a lot of decision making when it comes to how much detail to include, since its very stylized. But I'd argue it's not as hard a style to replicate as Moebius'. Bartosz Kosowski also comes to mind. He's really, really good at depicting things in his style, and you'd need a solid grasp at anatomy and faces to replicate it.

[-] MoonMelon@lemmy.ml 2 points 16 hours ago

I agree with this. It's the artists, not necessarily the "style" itself. Basically the fundamentals of visual language are what's hard to master, just like writing beautiful poetry requires mastery of a written/spoken language. Artists that have spent the time and put enough thought and practice into creating their own unique voice will be difficult to replicate.

Some modern artists I can think off of the top of my head:

[-] pastermil@sh.itjust.works 1 points 1 day ago

Vantablack?

this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
26 points (96.4% liked)

Asklemmy

43454 readers
1365 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy 🔍

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS