I just can't put my finger onto it....

Maybe my humor has de-evolved or something

top 9 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] SkybreakerEngineer@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

When you're already at "immigrants are eating your cats" and the numbers don't move, it does kind of beg the question.

[-] sentient_loom@sh.itjust.works 9 points 1 day ago
[-] EleventhHour@lemmy.world 9 points 1 day ago

October surprise

In the politics of the United States, an October surprise is a news event that may influence the outcome of an upcoming November election (particularly one for the presidency), whether deliberately planned or spontaneously occurring. Because the date for national elections (as well as many state and local elections) is in early November, events that take place in October have greater potential to influence the decisions of prospective voters and allow less time to take remedial action; thus, relatively last-minute news stories could either change the course of an election or reinforce the inevitable.[1] The term "October surprise" was coined by William Casey when he served as campaign manager of Ronald Reagan's 1980 presidential campaign.[2] However, there were October election-upending events that predated the coining of the term.[1][2]

[-] vipaal@aussie.zone 1 points 8 hours ago

TIL 👍

The first thing that came to my mind is perhaps October Surprise is something pleasant and giving a feeling of relief after Eternal September

[-] intensely_human@lemm.ee 2 points 58 minutes ago

my mind is very simple. I just assumed it meant one had forgotten about October and then there it was again.

[-] Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca 1 points 1 hour ago

My first thought was people giving birth to unplanned babies since October is 9 months after Valentine's day.

[-] The_Che_Banana@beehaw.org 1 points 1 day ago
[-] appel@lemmy.ml 3 points 1 day ago

Two-horse chariot races (bigae) were held in the Campus Martius, the area of Rome named for Mars, after which the right-hand horse of the winning team was transfixed by a spear, then sacrificed. The horse's head (caput) and tail (cauda) were cut off and used separately in the two subsequent parts of the ceremonies: two neighborhoods staged a fight for the right to display the head, and the freshly bloodied cauda was carried to the Regia for sprinkling the sacred hearth of Rome.

Alrighty then

[-] The_Che_Banana@beehaw.org 1 points 1 day ago

Became familiar with the term with Colleen McCulloughs books of Rome series. Excellent book series.

this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
19 points (91.3% liked)

Asklemmy

43454 readers
1365 users here now

A loosely moderated place to ask open-ended questions

Search asklemmy 🔍

If your post meets the following criteria, it's welcome here!

1. Open-ended question
  2. Not offensive: at this point, we do not have the bandwidth to moderate overtly political discussions. Assume best intent and be excellent to each other.
  3. Not regarding using or support for Lemmy: context, see the list of support communities and tools for finding communities below
  4. Not ad nauseam inducing: please make sure it is a question that would be new to most members
  5. An actual topic of discussion

Looking for support?

Looking for a community?

~Icon~ ~by~ ~@Double_A@discuss.tchncs.de~

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS