c o e x i s t (slrpnk.net)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] capital@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

Atheists: Us too, right?…

[-] roguetrick@lemmy.world 3 points 15 hours ago

As long as you pay them tribute, they don't give a fuck.

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 2 points 18 hours ago

Really? They're all cute except the Muslims?

[-] SilentFury@lemm.ee 26 points 18 hours ago

Excuse you, that gator is fucking adorable

[-] Maggoty@lemmy.world 1 points 15 hours ago
[-] Grandwolf319@sh.itjust.works 125 points 1 day ago

Ah yes, mongols, known for their gentle and easy going temperament.

[-] beebarfbadger@lemmy.world 9 points 1 day ago

Also known for inventing the phrase "lend me your ear".

[-] captainlezbian@lemmy.world 62 points 1 day ago

When it comes to religion, yes. When it comes to governance, lol

[-] enbiousenvy@lemmy.blahaj.zone 27 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

(As per K&G youtube channel) I learned that when it comes to believe system, the Mongols believe that everyone worships the same god, Tengri, but in varied way in every culture/religion they encounter.

They believe that as long as everyone submit themselves under the Mongol rule, it means they obey Tengri/Mongolian god.

There are various religious communities inside the empire but they also don't bother to do the worst thing possible to obliterate anyone who doesn't submit to Mongol, regardless their believe.

But I think in a smaller level it's also not as simple/straightforward as that. Mongolian Shamans also known to have conflicts with the Khan. Sometimes the Khan kept asking the Shamans to do a ritual over and over again until the result aligns with the Khan's desire. Or sometimes the Shaman (being a regarded class in their society) have their own political motive to do something against the Khan.

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 32 points 1 day ago

China doesn't want friends. That's why they built a wall to keep those friendly Mongols out.

[-] IndiBrony@lemmy.world 18 points 1 day ago

God damn Mongolians keep breaking down my city wall!!

[-] CherenkovBlue@lemmy.myserv.one 95 points 1 day ago

Is this...Mongolian propaganda? Because the Kahns definitely did a whole lot of subjugating, raping and murdering. Not sure that really fits the "coexist" meme...

[-] scbasteve7@lemm.ee 76 points 1 day ago

The meme format doesn't really work, but the joke they're trying to make is that even though they did all these terrible things, it was never because of religion. In fact, they just didn't give a fuck in what you believed in. Genghis even allowed religious figures to be exempt from taxation.

[-] leisesprecher@feddit.org 45 points 1 day ago

And let's be honest: the Mongolians were probably not worse than any other invader. War, destruction, looting and raping is kind of par for the course for most civilizations in history.

[-] trolololol@lemmy.world 1 points 17 hours ago

Well sure, but they were really good at it all

[-] scbasteve7@lemm.ee 35 points 1 day ago

Honestly from the limited knowledge I have, Mongolians seemed to be the one of the chillest of invaders. They gave you a clear choice, let us rule you or die. And once they ruled you they allowed many freedoms that crusaders and colonizers didn't. Their tactics were brutal and I think that's why people see them as so evil.

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 1 points 16 hours ago

I will take the third option

[-] db0@lemmy.dbzer0.com 21 points 1 day ago

Mongolians seemed to be the one of the chillest of invaders.

Literal mountains of skulls...

[-] ryathal@sh.itjust.works 15 points 1 day ago

For every mountain of skulls there were 10 villages that decided Mongolian rule wasn't so bad.

[-] Rekorse@sh.itjust.works 4 points 1 day ago

...in comparison to the mountain of skulls, that were likely raped before they died.

[-] MelastSB@sh.itjust.works 12 points 1 day ago

The Skull Throne ain't gonna build itself

TBF, the Mongolian invasions are literally what gave birth to Khorne

[-] db0@lemmy.dbzer0.com 5 points 1 day ago

Mongolians were the OG (original grimdark)

[-] Haagel@lemmings.world 82 points 1 day ago

Modern Mongolia, perhaps. The Golden Horde of Genghis Khan was not so tolerant!

[-] Nougat@fedia.io 69 points 1 day ago

Yes, they were. Genghis' Mongols didn't generally force religious change in the people who they subjugated.

[-] Gradually_Adjusting@lemmy.world 45 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

It's actually a cool belief system from what I've read, known as Tengriism; they had their own beliefs but (and I hope I have this right) that whatever religious worldview prevailed locally was considered not just valid as a personal or cultural expression, but actually metaphysically true as well. That seems fantastic, doesn't it? Patchwork metaphysics.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] seaQueue@lemmy.world 38 points 1 day ago

Provided you paid your tribute and obeyed the Khan's laws they were cool with just about everyone. Fail to do either of those things and you're in for a bad time.

[-] Grandwolf319@sh.itjust.works 11 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I mean pretty consistent with today’s neoliberal values:

It’s okay to exploit people as long as we don’t discriminate.

[-] seaQueue@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

The neoliberals of the 13th and 14th century

[-] OpenStars 29 points 1 day ago

The way I hear it told, Genghis Khan liked all types of women. 😉

[-] Gradually_Adjusting@lemmy.world 23 points 1 day ago

It was mixed. Their subjects were more free to travel, practise religions, and generally exist within the empire than without it. It was just that transition. The Mongols liked to do things the easy way, or the really easy way.

[-] TrousersMcPants@lemmy.world 39 points 1 day ago

I find it interesting how the Mongolian empire has kind of taken a 180 in its historical image. Not long ago they were viewed as just cartoon villains that destroyed everything. But now you see so many people talking about some of the "good" aspects that it almost makes them seem strangely benevolent.

The reality of course was that they were an empire, and like all empires they steamrolled and destroyed anything that stood in their way while taking advantage of anything that furthered their goals. They probably killed far more people than they helped if you asked anyone living through the time.

Dan Carlin's podcast, Hardcore History, has a series called Wrath of the Khans where he talks about this in length and it's very interesting to think about.

[-] drosophila@lemmy.blahaj.zone 22 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

When people think about Rome they usually imagine the roads and the aquaducts and not so much the crucifixions and the slavery.

[-] mnemonicmonkeys@sh.itjust.works 12 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Yeah, the Mongolians front-loaded most of their atrocities. Rome was more of a slow burn

[-] SSJMarx@lemm.ee 3 points 17 hours ago

The Romans steal and call it taxation, rape and call it marriage, murder and call it justice, and declare that the graveyard is peace.

(paraphrasing a guy whose name I don't remember)

[-] captainlezbian@lemmy.world 8 points 1 day ago

Rome was both. The mongols raped and slaughtered. The Romans were too civilized to do that as much, instead they just enslaved some of your village so they could die in the mines or fields or construction projects. And then there’s the internal atrocities. Rome had three servile wars and then without easing up even a bit never had another.

The Kahns were more like the Shahs, conqueror emperors seeking to hold the great titles of the world like emperor of China or pharaoh and in doing so became one. The Romans were like America “we’re different snd our own thing” before being a different kind of brutal

[-] TrousersMcPants@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

Well, they might imagine one specific crucifixion

[-] drosophila@lemmy.blahaj.zone 8 points 1 day ago

Strangely enough I feel like that crucification isn't much associated with the Romans. Even though the Romans were the ones who carried it out Judas gets almost 100% of the ire.

Even Jews are given more blame by antisemitic Christians. Like, no one is starting up a pogrom against Italians because their great great great grandpa might've been the guy who stabbed Jesus in the ribs.

[-] Shard@lemmy.world 4 points 1 day ago

Theologically, all mankind was to blame because of their sins.

But it's far easier to blame a minority and it had the added benefit of pushing whatever agenda the ruling class had.

load more comments (2 replies)
[-] Skullgrid@lemmy.world 27 points 1 day ago

from my understanding , it's a chain of

You see that village over there? they resisted. we burnt everything , killed every man and child, and raped all the women.

See the other village over there? they joined us, and we gave them access to goods from across the world, the latest technology and treat them better than their previous rulers.

Your choice.

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 1 points 16 hours ago

I will be your best friend, then work hard in my lab to create a new unstoppable virus that puts an end to multicellular life on this planet.

[-] Sundial@lemm.ee 44 points 1 day ago

Genghis Khan: Are you good at killing and terrorizing my enemies? Yes? Ok, see those fuckers over there? Conquer them. I don't care how. Burn it all down. Re-route an entire river. I just want them paying tribute.

[-] samus12345@lemmy.world 21 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Not with the owner of City Wok!

Or Jin Sakai.

[-] BaroqueInMind@lemmy.one 11 points 1 day ago

Ghost of Sushi is such a masterpiece magnum opus of an amazing fucking game.

[-] mortemtyrannis@lemmy.ml 4 points 1 day ago

I can’t wait for Ghost of Sushi 2: Nigiri wa oishii desu

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] otter@lemmy.dbzer0.com 12 points 1 day ago

So, that's a honey badger in a capy disguise?

[-] Diplomjodler3@lemmy.world 21 points 1 day ago

They were also great environmentalists who did a lot to fight global warming.

[-] Sebbe@lemmy.sebbem.se 9 points 1 day ago

And overpopulation!

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
453 points (96.7% liked)

Science Memes

10454 readers
3861 users here now

Welcome to c/science_memes @ Mander.xyz!

A place for majestic STEMLORD peacocking, as well as memes about the realities of working in a lab.

Rules

1. Don't throw mud. Behave like an intellectual and remember the human.
  2. Keep it rooted (on topic).
  3. No spam.
  4. Infographics welcome, get schooled.

Research Committee

Other Mander Communities

Science and Research

Biology and Life Sciences

Physical Sciences

Humanities and Social Sciences

Practical and Applied Sciences

Memes

Miscellaneous