top 28 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] BombOmOm@lemmy.world 76 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I'm surprised at how many companies still use a Russian AV. You are relying on this singular piece of software to keep your computer safe, and you pick the Russian one? Particularly when Windows Defender is right there. All you have to do is....not install the Russian AV.

Probably because old habits die hard. Kaspersky used to have a pretty good reputation as far as AV software. In the past, I used TDSSKiller to resurrect many PC's where other antivirus software failed.

Unfortunately, the whole Russia being a malicious actor negates any reasons to continue using Kaspersky.

[-] skooma_king@lemm.ee 10 points 1 day ago

I used to work for a major research university and they switched to Kaspersky. It baffled me that any foreign AV was permitted, let alone one made in a hostile country.

[-] Dark_Arc@social.packetloss.gg 8 points 2 days ago

What companies use Kaspersky?

Isn't this mostly a consumer level issue?

[-] pandapoo@sh.itjust.works 4 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Retail generates the most margin, while enterprise generally the most revenue.

At least, that's how it works at most vendors that operate both B2C and B2B sales and product channels.

But no, Kaspersky is a major legacy player in the B2B security market with both mature and cutting edge products/solutions.

A better question might be, which companies in America were still using Kaspersky up until this month, and why.

My guess that is a mix between budgetary constraints, incompetence, and weighted risk analysis.

Imagine you're a Midwestern ice cream wholesaler, it's been a bad few years, and your 200 Kaspersky licenses were renewed with deep discounts.

You're not likely to lose any contracts for using Kaspersky, nor be a target of state sanctioned espionage, but spending $10,000 between new licensing and man hours, to rip, replace, and configure a new solution, now that could cause real issues for you.

So, between a rock and a hard place, you just wait it out as long as possible and hope that when the other shoe drops, it doesn't wreck your budget.

[-] MeekerThanBeaker@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

There are businesses that use it. I work at a small company, under 100 people and we used to use it for about six years... then we switched to Crowdstrike a few years back. And look how that ended up.

[-] 30p87@feddit.org 6 points 2 days ago

No one that knows what an AV is even uses an AV.

[-] SpaceMan9000@lemmy.world 2 points 1 day ago

Hot take, genuinely hoping that you're not one of those "common sense" people.

[-] Damage@feddit.it 0 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I mean, we still use American ones...

[-] sunzu2@thebrainbin.org 5 points 2 days ago

Pretty sure if the app can do that, you gave it permission

[-] linearchaos@lemmy.world 20 points 2 days ago

It's antivirus software It already has the maximum level of permissions possible.

[-] sunzu2@thebrainbin.org -3 points 2 days ago

And that's the true crime here haha

[-] BassTurd@lemmy.world 9 points 2 days ago

Not really. It's the nature of how software like AV has to work. In order to protect against the baddies, it has to run at the kernel level, which is unfettered access to the system. If it didn't run there, it would be borderline useless for security. Bad practices like poor code review like Crowdstrike is the real crime.

this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
157 points (98.2% liked)

Technology

58269 readers
5442 users here now

This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.

Our Rules

1. Follow the lemmy.world rules.
  2. Only tech related content.
  3. Be excellent to each another!
  4. Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
  5. Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
  6. Politics threads may be removed.
  7. No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
  8. Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
  9. Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed

Approved Bots

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS