Spacebar is a free, opensource selfhostable discord-compatible chat, voice and video platform.

• Discord-compatible (Use all your custom clients/bots with minimal changes)
  • Selfhostable (Server)
  • Open Source (GitHub Organization)
  • Configurable (Configure every aspect and limits to your needs)
  • Decentralized (no abuse of power and doesn't have a single point of failure)
  • Extendable (secure and cross-platform plugin system)
  • Themeable (cross-platform theme system with design editor)
  • Secure (publicly audited and hosted FOSS software for transparent foundation in terms of security)
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] recklessengagement@lemmy.world 9 points 1 day ago

I've been trying to find a more privacy-friendy alternative to Discord but I keep coming back to the issue of screen sharing. No other platform does it as smoothly.

The best I've found is using Parsec with some virtual audio cables to avoid voice feedback.

[-] HappyTimeHarry@lemm.ee 10 points 1 day ago

is there any sort of way to have the chat logs be public and searchable? the worst thing about discord being a walled garden is that all the info on it can only be accessed by a discord client.

[-] Fredselfish@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

Do you still have to use discord in order to use this?

[-] HappyTimeHarry@lemm.ee 2 points 14 hours ago

I think the idea here is that you are running your own discord, and only people with modded clients can use it because its not approved by discord.

[-] UnspokenIdiot@lemmy.wtf 1 points 19 hours ago

what about the screen sharing? muble for voice, matrix for communication but i cant find any suitable replacement for video

[-] warmaster@lemmy.world 166 points 2 days ago

https://docs.spacebar.chat/faq/

Currently there is no voice or video support in any Spacebar instance. This is a very difficult feature to get working, especially given that we must implement it the exact same way as Discord.com for client compatibility. We would be incredibly thankful for any assistance.

Damn.

[-] Evotech@lemmy.world 47 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Discuss without voice, might aswell use IRC

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 8 points 1 day ago
[-] helios@social.ggbox.fr 4 points 1 day ago

Mumble is so underrated. It does one job and but does it very well.

[-] chalupapocalypse@lemmy.world 46 points 2 days ago

Yeah I'd love to move my gang off discord but getting them to go back to team speak or vent is not happening

[-] Serinus@lemmy.world 49 points 2 days ago

Mumble is another strong, open source, self-hosted option.

[-] Kuinox@lemmy.world 13 points 1 day ago

If only it didn't looked like a 20 year old software.

[-] lambalicious@lemmy.sdf.org 11 points 1 day ago

Some of the best stuff in the world looks like it's 20 years past a prime that isn't, because they're truly good eternal.

[-] v0rld@lemmy.world 12 points 1 day ago

Maybe it's just me but I think the Mumble UI is way better than the Discord UI

[-] corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca 5 points 1 day ago

Yay mumble!

And I agree: it's better. I think it's faster and that, IMHO, is where the power is. It can look boring like a hammer as long as it's intuitive ... like a hammer.

[-] Kuinox@lemmy.world 7 points 1 day ago

I don't know about the UX, but if you want peoples to use your app, it need to look nice.

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 4 points 1 day ago

I find the login page of discord intelorable, it has ugly EULA on it that I will never sign

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 7 points 1 day ago

It's voice chat, you choose a server and then minimize to tray, you never have to look at it...

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (5 replies)
[-] moonleay@feddit.org 1 points 23 hours ago* (last edited 23 hours ago)

This is cool to see, though I am sceptical, if it is a good idea to create a drop-in discord server, because this does not allow for the project to add E2EE "easily" without eliminating the drop-in capability.

[-] SirQuackTheDuck@lemmy.world 1 points 22 hours ago* (last edited 22 hours ago)

It's a convenience over privacy thing. If the api is discord compatible you lose the e2e on that channel / server, or make the api e2e but then existing bots need modifying

I could see this being a toggle

[-] moonleay@feddit.org 1 points 20 hours ago

That would require a custom client and eliminate the drop in feature. Sadly just adding a toggle does not work :/

[-] interdimensionalmeme@lemmy.ml 6 points 1 day ago

Cool, what are some alternative discord clients to use with it ?

[-] Lemongrab@lemmy.one 4 points 1 day ago

WebCord supports it.

[-] parpol@programming.dev 31 points 2 days ago

Why not just use Matrix? I thought it was the goto FOSS and decentralized Discord alternative.

[-] scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech 64 points 2 days ago

Matrix doesn't offer the same experience as discord. I'm sorry but it doesn't. I set up my own to compare to see if my friend group would like it, and it was quite a step backwards. Even in it's best platform element it was missing a lot of stuff from discord.

So, things like this I'd be very interested to watch. Revolt looked the most promising but it didn't offer federation, and I wasn't going to make everyone have a separate accountjust for our server

So this will be interesting. I will need at least voice to get them to come over, but I'll watch this project closely

[-] milan@discuss.tchncs.de 1 points 1 day ago

i can agree with regards to a proper threads/forum feature which is not that amazing in element right now… but it appears we are moving fast towards element call integration everywhere. this means p2p video rooms if i am not mistaken. is there something else except user friendliness in ux that could be better?

[-] Cenotaph@mander.xyz 25 points 2 days ago

Voice & screensharing seems to be the thing holding all of my friends chained to discord

I mean, it's a valid reason. I originally joined Discord back in 2016 because of it's easy to use voice. It became the standard for voice chat. Before that I had been using the Xbox party chat and other garbage voice systems.

[-] papertowels@lemmy.one 8 points 1 day ago

We were using Skype... Dark days.

load more comments (3 replies)
[-] Ninmi@sopuli.xyz 9 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

I think the original question could be about the protocol. Why not use Matrix as the protocol for the project? No one is doing the work to bring a Matrix-based Discord alternative because they're a) on Discord b) creatin IRC face-lifts like Element c) refusing to quit IRC d) making projects with bespoke protocols like this one. It's incredibly frustrating.

[-] Starbuncle@lemmy.ca 6 points 1 day ago

Unusably laggy no matter what instance you use.

[-] milan@discuss.tchncs.de 3 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

i cant confirm that. especially in the light of the new sliding sync implemented in elementx. it’s a nightmare for admins but for users it should be fine

[-] Ithral@lemmy.blahaj.zone 2 points 1 day ago

My instance is pretty fast. Run Conduwuit as the server, problem solved

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] helenslunch@feddit.nl 41 points 2 days ago

2 questions:

1. Does it stop all the incessant annoying pop-ups and fake notifications?
  2. Does it prevent Discord from selling all of my personal information to ~~Open~~ClosedAI?
[-] Strit@lemmy.linuxuserspace.show 43 points 2 days ago

As far as I can tell, it's not Discord, but an open source alternative. So I don't think it talks to regular discord servers, but you can use any Discord compatible client to talk to SpaceBarChat.

[-] helenslunch@feddit.nl 11 points 2 days ago

I don't think it talks to regular discord servers

So what does "Discord compatible" mean?

I tried this back when it was "FOSSCORD" and it did indeed connect to Discord.

[-] Strit@lemmy.linuxuserspace.show 15 points 2 days ago

It means that clients and bots for Discord will also work with this.

load more comments (5 replies)
[-] southsamurai@sh.itjust.works 22 points 2 days ago

Well, just glancing at it, it isn't discord. It doesn't connect to discord servers at all.

What it does is replicate discord, in a way that allows users to still make use of things that discord users are already into. Bots in particular.

So discord won't have access to anything that goes on at all, unless you're using something that also connects to discord.

Pop-ups and fake notifications would have more to do with the client you're using than the back-end would, so if you use a client that does those things, I wouldn't bet on that changing.

The caveat: I'm no dev of any kind, so I can't say anything about the actual code, I'm basing this on their own description. I linked the page to my cousin that sometimes will give a quick scan for hinky shit for me, but there's no telling if or when he'll do so nd get back to me.

[-] JameUwU@lemmy.ml 15 points 2 days ago

This looks interesting, and if they can get VC & E2EE it will definitely be something I'll make the switch to from Matrix. As much as I love Matrix, it feels very messy and uncoordinated.

[-] simple@lemm.ee 20 points 2 days ago
[-] mystik@lemmy.world 19 points 2 days ago

Revolt is kinda “centralized”. You can host your own version, but they seem to actively discourage you from doing so.

[-] AsudoxDev@programming.dev 9 points 2 days ago

Very bad. Spacebar is nowhere as functional as Revolt.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] milan@discuss.tchncs.de -1 points 1 day ago

is it… of value having something like this while matrix and element is a thing? i find these things interesting, but not sure if they are justifyable to deploy…

[-] shadeless@discuss.tchncs.de 2 points 1 day ago

For me, the benefit of discord is not the text chat but the voice aspect. With push to talk/voice activated transmission and low latency for gaming.

The voice features of matrix are more of a conference call thing.

Until this gets implemented in matrix (not sure if ever) I'll continue hosting mumble (or TeamSpeak)

[-] Takeshidude@lemmy.world 8 points 2 days ago

Spacebar looks great, and is exactly what I want, but it doesn't look close to production ready yet

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
402 points (98.1% liked)

Selfhosted

39338 readers
953 users here now

A place to share alternatives to popular online services that can be self-hosted without giving up privacy or locking you into a service you don't control.

Rules:

1. Be civil: we're here to support and learn from one another. Insults won't be tolerated. Flame wars are frowned upon.

2. No spam posting.

3. Posts have to be centered around self-hosting. There are other communities for discussing hardware or home computing. If it's not obvious why your post topic revolves around selfhosting, please include details to make it clear.

4. Don't duplicate the full text of your blog or github here. Just post the link for folks to click.

5. Submission headline should match the article title (don’t cherry-pick information from the title to fit your agenda).

6. No trolling.

Resources:

Any issues on the community? Report it using the report flag.

Questions? DM the mods!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS