Tartube Malware??? (lemmy.dbzer0.com)

Ok so I grabbed the portable version from Sourceforge to pirate a few of my favorite channels from YT and after a few minutes of working, Malwarebytes Pro coughs up a furball and tells me one of the files is infected with a Generic.Ransomeware???

Anyone else ever run across or hear of anything like this? I know false positives are rampant these days but I'd rather not take the chance.

Also, not to sound stupid but is Sourceforge not the original place to get Tartube???

Thanks for any constructive input!

top 5 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old

As a follow-up, I've downloaded the 64-bit exe from Github and actually installed tartube and that seems to be Ok for the time being. I'm running a complete Security sweep right now to see if it catches anything. We'll see.

[-] Qkall@lemmy.ml 4 points 2 days ago

It was like 10 years ago but source forge did notably had an issue with malware in their offerings. But they have since claimed to scan these apps...

So maaaybe?

[-] nivellian@lemmy.dbzer0.com 3 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

What's the file name or better the full file path? Try check in your quarantine.

Sorry, it's already gone. I deleted it from quarantine.

[-] boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net 2 points 2 days ago

I recently got a zipbomb + trojan through a Github comment. Was removed very quickly and unrecoverably, crazy that they can even so this, not even the repo owners see it anymore.

this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
22 points (95.8% liked)

Piracy: ꜱᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʜɪɢʜ ꜱᴇᴀꜱ

54008 readers
511 users here now

⚓ Dedicated to the discussion of digital piracy, including ethical problems and legal advancements.

Rules • Full Version

1. Posts must be related to the discussion of digital piracy

2. Don't request invites, trade, sell, or self-promote

3. Don't request or link to specific pirated titles, including DMs

4. Don't submit low-quality posts, be entitled, or harass others

Loot, Pillage, & Plunder

💰 Please help cover server costs.

Ko-FiLiberapay

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS