submitted 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago) by ch00f@lemmy.world to c/showerthoughts@lemmy.world

Like why do I feel like I’m supposed to be able to name the seven boroughs? I can’t tell you anything about L.A., Chicago, Boston, etc.

Edit: to clarify: I mean that everyone in America are expected to know NYC. Not just New Yorkers. Obviously everyone should know the layout of where they live.

all 36 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] HappyTimeHarry@lemm.ee 3 points 1 day ago

I'm from long island and i wouldn't expect that, I don't even know that I'd expect people outside of the city to know about boroughs. New York state is basically just 3 areas you should know of, "the city", "long island", and "upstate"

[-] diegantobass@lemmy.world 35 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Wait a minute, what?

I've been to a few cities all over Europe, lived in a couple of them for years, and I feel like having a general knowledge of the geography of where you live is a basic requirement of life.

Didn't you play the "capital city game" with friends as a kid?

I mean, it's cool with me if you or anyone has no idea of the layout of your local map, but that's a surprise for sure.

[-] minibyte@sh.itjust.works 25 points 2 days ago

The seven burros – happy, sleepy, grumpy, sneezy, doc. I’m missing a few.

[-] tiefling@lemmy.blahaj.zone 11 points 2 days ago

Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, New Jersey, ACAB Island, and Westchester

[-] ohwhatfollyisman@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

i'd hate to see what's "snow white" in this version.

[-] tiefling@lemmy.blahaj.zone 1 points 1 day ago

Long Island

[-] elephantium@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

Central park?

[-] ricdeh@lemmy.world 15 points 2 days ago

Definitely not in the world lol, I don't think most Europeans care for or have any idea of the geography of New York

[-] troed@fedia.io 7 points 2 days ago

We did listen to Beastie Boys over here too you know.

(So there are only five boroughs)

[-] MudMan@fedia.io 3 points 2 days ago

I don't know, I think maybe it depends on age? Most people exposed to US media will recognize at least the landmarks, but that's probably true of other cities as well.

But NYC has been in so many videogames I feel younger people with a passing interest in gaming will at least have a weird set of expectations. Of Manhattan, if nothing else. The twenty years of open world Spider-Man games alone are more exposure to an overhead map of a city than most people get of the place where they live in that amount of time.

[-] Valmond@lemmy.world 11 points 2 days ago

Like gamla stan in Stockholm, les Champs-Elysées Elysées in Paris or like the Colosseum in Rome?

I mean if it's known its known, but "people from the capital" sometimes (or to be cocky) thinks everything revolves around those places I guess.

[-] LoreleiSankTheShip@lemmy.ml 11 points 2 days ago

In Eastern Europe even the most illiterate citizen of a town/city knows the neighborhoods and where they are in relation to one another, if that's what you're asking.

[-] MirthfulAlembic@lemmy.world 6 points 2 days ago

To be fair, four of the five boroughs have greater populations than multiple states (Staten Island being the exception). I don't think any other city in the US has comparable subdivisions.

It's also hard to overstate the historical and cultural significance of NYC in the US. And this is coming from a New Englander who is obliged to say, "New York sucks."

[-] Nollij@sopuli.xyz 3 points 1 day ago

For many, maybe even most Americans, NYC might as well be a fictional place. It's featured heavily in countless movies, TV shows, books, etc. It's more common than Westeros, Middle Earth, or Hogwarts. And people are expected to understand these settings, at least as much as NYC.

And that's all before you consider places like Batman's Gotham that is very clearly NYC.

[-] HubertManne@moist.catsweat.com 5 points 1 day ago

your crazy. gotham is chicago on a good day and detroit on a bad day. metropolis is new york

[-] ieatpwns@lemmy.world 6 points 2 days ago

Lol wut. Literally anywhere you live in the world if you have a casual conversation with someone they generally expect you to have some knowledge of the local geography.

[-] ch00f@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

I mean every American is expected to know the layout of a specific city.

[-] HubertManne@moist.catsweat.com 1 points 1 day ago

I don't feel like im supposed to be able to name the seven boroughs and did not know there were seven. whos pressuring you???

[-] elephantium@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

Wait, we are? TIL.

[-] Dark_Arc@social.packetloss.gg 1 points 2 days ago

Yeah, IDK about that. Nobody in Ohio cares about NYC's layout anyways.

[-] Death_Equity@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

There is a reason zoomers use "Ohio" as an adjective.

[-] Treczoks@lemmy.world -5 points 2 days ago

And that for Americans, who have a hard time to locate even their own home town on a map.

[-] Saik0Shinigami@lemmy.saik0.com 3 points 1 day ago

Forget for a second that your original premise is basically completely wrong... You realize how fucking massive the USA is right? Based on the smugness I have to assume you're European. The USA is effectively the same size as your whole continent. The country is the size of your continent. Let that sink in. And unlike the Continent of Europe... Much of the middle of the continent has no notable landmarks on many maps.

Most people can absolutely give you the general area they live if you put a map of the USA in front of them. They may be off by a bit, but that's simply a function of how massive the scale of the map is you put in front of them.

[-] BearOfaTime@lemm.ee 1 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Hurr durr, 'Muricans Stoopid

People like you crack me up, all butthurt cause Americans don't give a fuck about where you're from.

Just shows you want attention from Americans, like you're mad your crush doesn't know you exist.

this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
3 points (51.8% liked)

Showerthoughts

29282 readers
1323 users here now

A "Showerthought" is a simple term used to describe the thoughts that pop into your head while you're doing everyday things like taking a shower, driving, or just daydreaming. The best ones are thoughts that many people can relate to and they find something funny or interesting in regular stuff.

Rules

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS