submitted 2 days ago by pepperjacques@lemmy.ml to c/privacy@lemmy.ml

I'm in the US and poor (shocker) and cannot afford a new phone. Are there any alternatives to base Android that I'm unaware of? There's an article on how to switch it to LineageOS, but I feel like that is a brick waiting to happen since I've been to LineageOS' page and they mention nothing about support for my device. Am I just SOL until I can manage to get a new phone?

top 9 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Ilandar@aussie.zone 8 points 2 days ago

The XDA forums don't have anything listed for your device. You can still improve your privacy by disabling applications (or uninstalling them through Universal Android Debloater) and replacing them with FOSS alternatives where possible. If you don't already use F-Droid and Aurora Store (or equivalents), switching to those app stores instead of using the Play Store for everything will help you to change your app drawer over time. Take note of Aurora Store's privacy report section that lists known trackers bundled with applications, it's a very useful feature that is often overlooked.

[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 5 points 2 days ago

Could you find something used but supported by Lineage OS? Maybe you could get a older phone and then sell your current device.

A old worn phone shouldn't be super expensive. For instance I can find my current device (moto g7 power which I bought new in 2019) for around $50-$70 used on eBay. There are plenty of used devices that can be had for less than 100.

[-] pepperjacques@lemmy.ml 3 points 2 days ago

Appreciate the help, guys! Sucks that my model isn't supported, but maybe I'll end up with a new phone at some point (hopefully before this one dies).

[-] JameUwU@lemmy.ml 3 points 2 days ago

I'm not sure about for the 5G version, but I was able to bootloader unlock the regular 2021 Stylus using the rescue tool, and install Andy Yangs LineageOS GSI. 4G, calling and text worked like stock. It was kind if a PITA to maintain but it was nice peace of mind.

[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 2 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Get something old and used but still working

[-] shortwavesurfer@lemmy.zip 3 points 2 days ago

If you do end up having to wait until you get a new phone, you could disable Google Play Services and the Google Play Store, and that would help quite a bit.

[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 4 points 2 days ago

And switch keyboards

[-] archy@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

look on XDA developers forum for your model. They usually have plenty of alternative ROMs

[-] XTL@sopuli.xyz 1 points 2 days ago

The critical thing is having unlock and recovery for the model. Without that, it can't generally be reflashed.

this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
20 points (100.0% liked)

Privacy

31355 readers
1455 users here now

A place to discuss privacy and freedom in the digital world.

Privacy has become a very important issue in modern society, with companies and governments constantly abusing their power, more and more people are waking up to the importance of digital privacy.

In this community everyone is welcome to post links and discuss topics related to privacy.

Some Rules

Related communities

Chat rooms

much thanks to @gary_host_laptop for the logo design :)

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS