submitted 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago) by Tomboymoder@hexbear.net to c/the_dunk_tank@hexbear.net
top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] EllenKelly@hexbear.net 47 points 2 days ago

lol using the 35 country median of 31% negative because the average is 35% negative

load more comments (7 replies)
[-] buckykat@hexbear.net 52 points 2 days ago

Barely breaking 50% on your self selected popularity data

I remember once reading that Jordan’s approval rate of the USA in 2003 was 1%

Also “Four of five Palestinians disapproved of American leadership, by far the worst perception of the United States globally”

We’re based, westerners aren’t

[-] MemesAreTheory@hexbear.net 35 points 2 days ago

Lol they picked Israel, Turkey, and Tunisia as their representative sample of the middle east. First, one of these things is not like the others. Second, I can only imagine how fucking funny it would look if they actually had a representative sample of Arabic/Islamic countries.

[-] LeZero@hexbear.net 16 points 2 days ago

I wonder how it would look like if say, Iraq and Syria were on that list

[-] GrouchyGrouse@hexbear.net 36 points 2 days ago

I asked my friends if I was a cool dude and the majority said I was screm-cool

[-] booty@hexbear.net 22 points 2 days ago

Rare outcome, most friend groups would be like "nah dude you're the worst get lost" and then you'd all laugh and chug another beer or whatever it is neurotypical people do when they hang out

[-] GrouchyGrouse@hexbear.net 17 points 2 days ago

We knock back brewskis and talk about woodworking and Cindy Crawford

[-] CloutAtlas@hexbear.net 14 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I believe the NTs are hanging out at a pastel pink coloured restaurant with very rounded edges drinking malt milkshakes, smoking Lucky Strike asbestos filter cigarettes and listening to radio plays with your chums.

The bad boy of the group wears a black leather jacket.

[-] Belly_Beanis@hexbear.net 6 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Before we rumble with another crew, we practice our song and dance number with snapping fingers. As a NT, I can confirm this is what we do when you guys aren't looking.

[-] bumpusoot@hexbear.net 21 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Source missing from that post, but it's from the Pew Research Center.

I couldn't find any justification for their picking those countries (maybe they're the only countries that let the Pew Research Center establish any presence). And their methodology seems to suffer similar biases these kinds of wide opinion polls typically do (e.g. if you don't answer the phone or agree to talk to weird strangers you're not counted), which typically skew towards older conservatives who are sitting at home. Sample sizes also leave a lot to be desired.

Not to say this data is entirely inaccurate, but as with like 90% of these studies, they leave so much statistically uncertain that it's borderline meaningless.

[-] asante@hexbear.net 20 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Luna oi! (Vietnamese youtuber) did a video on a ""statistic"" by the Pew Research Center saying something like "95% of Vietnamese like capitalism!"

obviously misinformation, but she went ahead and translated the original Vietnamese question in English as something like "do you think the Doi Moi reforms were beneficial to Vietnam?". which like jfc of course they were lol

[-] roux@hexbear.net 10 points 2 days ago

If it's the YouTuber I'm thinking of her content is great.

[-] asante@hexbear.net 6 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

yea especially the documentaries she dubs to english

[-] vegeta1@hexbear.net 29 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Oh look the sub that tries to greenwash the realities of climate change so they can have brunch isn't in tune with reality nowai

[-] CloutAtlas@hexbear.net 23 points 2 days ago

The sub is the equivalent of a child hiding under a blanket so the monster doesn't get you.

Except the monsters are real and aren't deterred by blankets, it just hasn't reached you yet.

[-] vegeta1@hexbear.net 11 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Its worse than the council in mass effect denying the reapers exist despite seeing saren in the flesh attack the citadel. It will hit the global south horribly and they'll still be in their bubble of "heres how investor's can still win"

[-] Belly_Beanis@hexbear.net 10 points 2 days ago

The sub name itself is pathetic. It's pathetic enough being a r*dditor. But it's extra pathetic to join a sub called "Optimists unite!" as if you're part of some superhero team. I can only assume their sole form of media consumption is Marvel movies and Marvel mobile games.

[-] hamid@vegantheoryclub.org 12 points 2 days ago

Did they only call people who speak English in South America?

[-] TraschcanOfIdeology@hexbear.net 13 points 2 days ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Don't know about other South American countries, but Colombia (and Colombians) has always been very eager to lick the boot of the US. It's no surprise it's one of the only countries in the continent to never have had an openly left wing president or policies until Petro in 2020. Hating the US is something mostly leftists do, and because of the civil war, being a full-on leftist is a bad look for most Colombians.

There's a Colombian comedian who says that Colombians hate being Colombian, and always aspire to be of some other nationality, but it varies which one by class: High-class Colombians aspire to be and act like they're European, Middle class Colombians aspire to be American, and very poor Colombians aspire to be Mexican. It feels really true that a lot of people fall into the trap of wanting shit just because it's from the US, and thinking anything that's not popular there is therefore bad, like cars or phones.

[-] infuziSporg@hexbear.net 5 points 1 day ago

Peru/Brazil/Mexico/Chile being so high is kinda surprising.

Poland and the Philippines make me wonder if there's an emigration/brain drain effect going on.

[-] Findom_DeLuise@hexbear.net 22 points 2 days ago
[-] SkingradGuard@hexbear.net 22 points 2 days ago

Australians are 60/40? That's hard to believe lmao

[-] EnsignRedshirt@hexbear.net 21 points 2 days ago

Aussies are mad that Americans are more racist than they are.

[-] FumpyAer@hexbear.net 15 points 2 days ago

I mean there's that, but also it's well known to Australians that their government has sold them out to be a client state of the US. On trade, allowing American military bases on the continent, and more.

[-] Teekeeus@hexbear.net 16 points 2 days ago

If they hate the americans so much then they shouldn't have outsourced their foreign policy to them

[-] bigbrowncommie69@hexbear.net 15 points 2 days ago

Nah there's a lot of hatred for the US in all the other anglophone nations.

[-] jolliver_bromwell@hexbear.net 8 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

yeah but it's not rooted in some principled stand, it's because we're the funhouse mirror that lets other genocidal settler colonies (or the genocidal mothership herself) off the hook for as long as we're around. "oh no, the mean americans are making me do a genocide again, oh no"

death to america by all means but let's not pretend most of the australians marking "disapprove" didn't do so because the nasty seppos with the school shootings make them feel better about their own settler violence

[-] PointAndClique@hexbear.net 8 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

We generally don't like Americans as a group, but will bend over backwards to say how our individual yankee mate from uni is actually a decent person if you get used to them. It's more from a sense of cultural inadequacy than actually having any cogent objections to the American empire (for the average person it's posited that America may be a big bully but they're our big bully against the inscrutable *rientals)

[-] CloutAtlas@hexbear.net 6 points 2 days ago

A lot of Australians "patriots" oppose the yankification of Australia

[-] peeonyou@hexbear.net 20 points 2 days ago

the number #1 freest bestest richest most democratic amazing melting pot country is cherry-picked to be "generally favorable" at best... how telling

[-] FuckyWucky@hexbear.net 23 points 2 days ago
[-] vovchik_ilich@hexbear.net 9 points 2 days ago

I'm sad about that tbh, Poland has so much potential, it's produced some of my favourite artistic expressions in the form of music through bands like Riverside or Coma. I hope things will eventually change

[-] principalkohoutek@hexbear.net 16 points 2 days ago

It is me, Tunisia

[-] Dirt_Owl@hexbear.net 20 points 2 days ago
[-] vovchik_ilich@hexbear.net 27 points 2 days ago

What's surprising? Poland's national and foundational myths since 1990 are basically "le ontologically evil Ruzzians have oppressed my poor nation for all of human history and they're worse than the Nazis, thank god (literally) that we saved ourselves from thay by joining the liberal west".

[-] Sulvor@hexbear.net 13 points 2 days ago

Yeah Polish culture is like the forefront of NAFOism

[-] blobjim@hexbear.net 18 points 2 days ago

now lets see the methodology.

[-] Sulvor@hexbear.net 12 points 2 days ago

Rare Turkish W

[-] ashinadash@hexbear.net 11 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

The only americans who deserve to feel optimism are the ones eagerly anticipating its downfall. amerikkka

[-] driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br 11 points 2 days ago

I don't believe the Argentinian results, unless shit changed A LOT since 10 years ago that I moved away.

[-] Dudewitbow@lemmy.zip 7 points 2 days ago

i mean they did very recently consider switching to the US dollar, which means at least at a government standpoint, they trust the US economy over their own at that moment. They used to hate the US in the early 2000's but its more 50/50 i think nowadays.

[-] driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br 10 points 2 days ago

They're have been addicted to the dollars for years, but every argentinean I knew hated Americans and the US government.

[-] Dudewitbow@lemmy.zip 8 points 2 days ago

id imagine a certain generation hates the US mainly because of the US stance during the Falkland Wars, as its one of the major times where the US didn't enforce the monroe doctrine(when it typically would have). Of course as time gets farther from that time period that view kinda starts to mull off, sorta like younger generations in mainland asia's opinion of japan.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 25 Sep 2024
115 points (100.0% liked)

the_dunk_tank

15891 readers
525 users here now

It's the dunk tank.

This is where you come to post big-brained hot takes by chuds, libs, or even fellow leftists, and tear them to itty-bitty pieces with precision dunkstrikes.

Rule 1: All posts must include links to the subject matter, and no identifying information should be redacted.

Rule 2: If your source is a reactionary website, please use archive.is instead of linking directly.

Rule 3: No sectarianism.

Rule 4: TERF/SWERFs Not Welcome

Rule 5: No ableism of any kind (that includes stuff like libt*rd)

Rule 6: Do not post fellow hexbears.

Rule 7: Do not individually target other instances' admins or moderators.

Rule 8: The subject of a post cannot be low hanging fruit, that is comments/posts made by a private person that have low amount of upvotes/likes/views. Comments/Posts made on other instances that are accessible from hexbear are an exception to this. Posts that do not meet this requirement can be posted to !shitreactionariessay@lemmygrad.ml

Rule 9: if you post ironic rage bait im going to make a personal visit to your house to make sure you never make this mistake again

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS