submitted 2 days ago by simple@lemm.ee to c/games@lemmy.world

Something must be going on at Ubisoft. They cancelled their Tokyo Game Show stream without any explanation as well.

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] helenslunch@feddit.nl 14 points 1 day ago
[-] AFC1886VCC@reddthat.com 26 points 2 days ago

It's just going to be a shit version of ghost of tsushima

[-] slaacaa@lemmy.world 35 points 2 days ago

Wow, this really gives me confidence that it’s going to a great game. Time to preorder for 70!

Tap for spoiler/s

AAAA Game let's gooooooo

[-] Wav_function@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago

OMG spoilers

[-] Red_October@lemmy.world 27 points 2 days ago

I'm sure it's fine, right guys? Guys? This is the AAAA company, it'll be great right?

[-] UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world 112 points 2 days ago

Always a good sign for a release.

[-] Zahille7@lemmy.world 21 points 2 days ago

I mean cancelling preview copies of Space Marine 2 seemed to work out. They got to finish cooking and it paid off for them in the end with everyone's minds being blown (I haven't played it yet myself, but I've seen reviews).

But that's most likely not the case here.

load more comments (17 replies)
[-] systemglitch@lemmy.world 50 points 2 days ago

I want Ubisoft to crumble.

[-] Noodle07@lemmy.world 19 points 2 days ago
[-] systemglitch@lemmy.world 1 points 1 day ago

Feels like they are buying their own booster packs to speed things up.

[-] etchinghillside@reddthat.com 14 points 2 days ago

Can I have a solid Black Flag remaster first?

[-] Ledivin@lemmy.world 7 points 2 days ago

No, just play Black Flag.

[-] slaacaa@lemmy.world 16 points 2 days ago

Just when the sequel to Ghost of Tsushima was announced - I don’t think it’s a coincidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z7kqwuf0a8

[-] simple@lemm.ee 9 points 2 days ago

I don't think they're related but it is a hilarious turn of events for ubisoft

[-] kat_angstrom@lemmy.world 5 points 1 day ago

Don't worry, this one's definitely gonna be AAAAAAAA

[-] hesusingthespiritbomb@lemmy.world 16 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I feel like a lot of companies that put the most emphasis on making diverse IP make the worst products. I don't think that the lack of quality is due to diversity. Rather, I think that companies with soulless corporate leadership have a habit of producing mediocre content and attempting to obfuscate said mediocrity by making an otherwise uninspiring game a referendum on the culture war.

I'm willing to bet that there are developers who can make a game that is more organically diverse and genuinely fun, but that they don't get an honest shot due to the state of modern gaming.

Anyway this game is gonna be crap, IGN is gonna give it a 10/10, and Polygon is gonna go on a tirade when it underperforms in the same way every AC game since black flag has underperformed.

[-] pyre@lemmy.world 16 points 2 days ago

what do you mean by diverse IP? Ubisoft has notoriously done the exact opposite by eliminating every distinguishing characteristic of their games and converging all of their designs into assassin's creed with another name. Ubisoft has one of the least diverse portfolio of any AAA company, and that's saying something.

the only good (and diverse) things that come out of Ubisoft have been from a small team inside that somehow missed all the rituals to sell their souls to Asmodeus so they keep making bangers like Rayman and the recent Prince metroidvania.

[-] jeeva@lemmy.world 15 points 2 days ago

Sadly, I think this person is railing against "having more than just white guys featured" (as if that's forced, when you start making games in new locations around the world) rather than the bland Ubi-style open-world map checklist that you might expect to be the sane complaint.

[-] pyre@lemmy.world 9 points 2 days ago

oh. going through their profile certainly suggests that way. it's weird to call that "diverse IP"... but weird is pretty on brand for that crowd i guess.

load more comments (4 replies)
[-] slaacaa@lemmy.world 6 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I mean it is a diverse portfolio, but only on the very shallow surface level. Like COD or FIFA, AC games are the same every year / 2 years with a different skin.

I remember when it was actually different 10+ years ago, like when we got AC Unity, Black Flag close by, with some Far Cry 3 on the side. Their open worlds had similar elements, but it was still very different at the core.

Now it’s just repetitive and boring.

[-] whereBeWaldo@lemmy.dbzer0.com 6 points 2 days ago

By diverse I believe he meant the DEI stuff.

[-] Shadywack@lemmy.world 11 points 2 days ago

A delay or a layoff, or both!

[-] KingThrillgore@lemmy.ml 2 points 2 days ago

They're wasting such a badass historical figure in Yasuke on such a color by numbers game.

[-] CosmoNova@lemmy.world 6 points 2 days ago

Luckily Ubisoft of all companies can totally afford that sort of stuff right now. It'll be fiiiiine.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 24 Sep 2024
224 points (98.3% liked)

Games

31886 readers
2990 users here now

Welcome to the largest gaming community on Lemmy! Discussion for all kinds of games. Video games, tabletop games, card games etc.

Weekly Threads:

What Are You Playing?

The Weekly Discussion Topic

Rules:

1. Submissions have to be related to games

2. No bigotry or harassment, be civil

3. No excessive self-promotion

4. Stay on-topic; no memes, funny videos, giveaways, reposts, or low-effort posts

5. Mark Spoilers and NSFW

6. No linking to piracy

More information about the community rules can be found here.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS