I workout with leggings and wonder which option reduces whale tailing.

A string’s waistband is much thinner than a thong’s. Does this mean whale tailing happens more often with strings than with thongs? If the waistband is not a string, but a wider piece of fabric, the piece should stay where it should be longer than a string and the waistband won’t ride over my hips when I workout, jump or stretch.

Is this how it works?

I’m skinny and don’t have wide hips or waist, if that makes a difference.

top 11 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Successful_Try543@feddit.org 42 points 3 days ago

For the clueless like me:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Johanna-trosor.png?20170111135917
Whale tail - Wikipedia

Again what learned.

[-] SurfinBird@lemmy.ca 25 points 3 days ago

Seems like a pants problem

[-] tobogganablaze@lemmus.org 12 points 3 days ago
[-] SurfinBird@lemmy.ca 8 points 3 days ago

You and the thong both make good points

[-] Kelly@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

The word was selected by the American Dialect Society in January 2006 as the "most creative word" of 2005.

TIL

[-] Naja_Kaouthia@lemmy.world 24 points 3 days ago

High waist compression leggings are my go-to. Even when I’m cycling you can’t see the top of whatever underwear I chose to wear that day.

[-] bassomitron@lemmy.world 11 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

This is what my wife and other lady friends into fitness use while working out. I don't think I've seen non-high waist leggings in workout settings for years, come to think of it.

[-] Naja_Kaouthia@lemmy.world 6 points 3 days ago

Honestly, they’ve become my uniform. Comfort - ✔️ Full range of motion - ✔️ Full coverage - ✔️

[-] SolarMonkey@slrpnk.net 1 points 2 days ago

That’s mostly because you can’t buy them.

I don’t like high-waist at all, but you can’t find low-rise at all anymore for athletic pants/leggings, and even fold over waist is getting hard to find. Flare cut is also very difficult to find these days.

[-] spacecadet@lemm.ee 12 points 3 days ago

As a dude who wears thongs while they are still taboo in America at least, I go through great effort to make sure they are not showing. Strong or thong it doesn’t matter. Pants are the normal culprit. Some thong/string brands tend to get looser and ride higher than others, but can always be fixed by pants that for proper.

[-] LainTrain@lemmy.dbzer0.com 7 points 3 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

I'd say so, but it really depends on the style of the thong you're comparing to. Some thongs also have less whale taling than others, (they can sit very low).

Why not just get some leggings that ride a bit higher so you don't have to worry about it? When I'm just casual or going for max comfort or working out I always just wear leggings way high and then cover any tummy bulge unpleasantness with a loose tank top.

this post was submitted on 24 Sep 2024
33 points (94.6% liked)

No Stupid Questions

35369 readers
853 users here now

No such thing. Ask away!

!nostupidquestions is a community dedicated to being helpful and answering each others' questions on various topics.

The rules for posting and commenting, besides the rules defined here for lemmy.world, are as follows:

Rules (interactive)

Rule 1- All posts must be legitimate questions. All post titles must include a question.

All posts must be legitimate questions, and all post titles must include a question. Questions that are joke or trolling questions, memes, song lyrics as title, etc. are not allowed here. See Rule 6 for all exceptions.

Rule 2- Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material.

Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material. You will be warned first, banned second.

Rule 3- Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here.

Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here. Breaking this rule will not get you or your post removed, but it will put you at risk, and possibly in danger.

Rule 4- No self promotion or upvote-farming of any kind.

That's it.

Rule 5- No baiting or sealioning or promoting an agenda.

Questions which, instead of being of an innocuous nature, are specifically intended (based on reports and in the opinion of our crack moderation team) to bait users into ideological wars on charged political topics will be removed and the authors warned - or banned - depending on severity.

Rule 6- Regarding META posts and joke questions.

Provided it is about the community itself, you may post non-question posts using the [META] tag on your post title.

On fridays, you are allowed to post meme and troll questions, on the condition that it's in text format only, and conforms with our other rules. These posts MUST include the [NSQ Friday] tag in their title.

If you post a serious question on friday and are looking only for legitimate answers, then please include the [Serious] tag on your post. Irrelevant replies will then be removed by moderators.

Rule 7- You can't intentionally annoy, mock, or harass other members.

If you intentionally annoy, mock, harass, or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathiser or a resemblant of a movement that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of a group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you will be banned on sight.

Rule 8- All comments should try to stay relevant to their parent content.

Rule 9- Reposts from other platforms are not allowed.

Let everyone have their own content.

Rule 10- Majority of bots aren't allowed to participate here.

Credits

Our breathtaking icon was bestowed upon us by @Cevilia!

The greatest banner of all time: by @TheOneWithTheHair!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS