Telegram, an essential communication tool for millions, finds itself under scrutiny once again. Copyright holders have long expressed concerns about the lack of enforcement on the platform, and recent actions suggest Telegram is responding. Subscribers to Z-Library's popular channel recently noticed that several of the shadow library's messages have been removed "due to copyright infringement."

all 31 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] SweetCitrusBuzz@beehaw.org 18 points 3 days ago

shocked pikachu face

Imagine using a messenger without meaningful end-to-end encryption and expecting privacy and no moderation forever.

[-] pastermil@sh.itjust.works 18 points 3 days ago

Why anyone's still using Telegram is beyond me...

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 10 points 3 days ago

It has a shiny chat interface and that's all people care about 🤷

Anti Commercial-AI license

[-] Nytefyre@kbin.melroy.org 4 points 2 days ago

Because...stickers! Everyone fucking loves stickers!

Oh oh! We can instantaneously share GIFs to eachother! Wooooooooow!

It's like dangling plastic keys infront of an easily amused baby, these people.

[-] nivellian@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Mostly cause the satisfying functionality/usability and least laziness to move on to another platform. Also I am subscribed to many news, software and dev channels on Telegram so I just sticked with it. Also I use AdGuard on my phone and I never saw ads in my Telegram; was shocked seeing ads pop up in my friends Telegram though. But off topic here, I think Z Library's channel being on Telegram was not a good idea, Matrix would have been a way more robust option. But there is worse: pirate servers run on Discord, like seriously... why...

[-] kionite231@lemmy.ca 2 points 2 days ago

Everyone uses WhatsApp these days.

[-] Zorsith@lemmy.blahaj.zone 8 points 2 days ago

How is that any better? It's owned by fucking Facebook

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 19 points 3 days ago

When will people start using Signal or Matrix for this? Signal supports public, encrypted chat rooms and so does Matrix.

[-] merde@sh.itjust.works 54 points 3 days ago

you're on a piracy community but you're licensing your comments?

if you don't respect other's licences, why should they respect yours?

[-] Blxter@lemmy.zip 24 points 3 days ago

Not gonna lie... That little link is funny to me.

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 5 points 3 days ago

On the face of it, I appreciate that it looks funny, but the power dynamics are quite different. If I'm caught pirating, my ass could land in jail. If a company is caught pirating, it's written off a business expense.

Would you find it as ridiculous if a slave whipped their owner? If the poor stole from the rich? If the weak took power from the powerful?

[-] willya@lemmyf.uk 4 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

None of those examples have any relation to the ignorance of these licensing links.

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 0 points 2 days ago

What "ignorance"? The licensing link is added manually. I've read it.

[-] magic_smoke@links.hackliberty.org 0 points 3 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Also what's the point of being anti-ai when you're already anti-cpyright?

The issue isn't generative AI, its capitalism. The AI just makes capitalism's bad parts more efficient, or is at least supposed to.

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 2 points 2 days ago

I don't believe you want a genuine answer. You've already made a decision, so no matter what I say, you won't agree with it 🤷 There's no need to continue.

Well that's an assumption...

[-] Prunebutt@slrpnk.net 1 points 2 days ago

Almost as if context matters, huh? 🤷

[-] Prunebutt@slrpnk.net -5 points 3 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

What's wrong with trying to prevent companies scrape your data? How is that antithetical to piracy?

[-] praise_idleness@sh.itjust.works 13 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

Can't you see the irony of licensing your comment on a piracy forum?

[-] Prunebutt@slrpnk.net -1 points 3 days ago

Not if I think about it for longer than a second. Anti-AI licensing is aimed at corporations. Piracy is done for individuals getting a product.

[-] petrescatraian@libranet.de 6 points 3 days ago

@onlinepersona I think I might start using Signal as well today.

[-] fourwd@programming.dev 0 points 3 days ago

Matrix sucks, it always loses some chat messages when the client is closed and sometimes it says something like "hey dude something is wrong with your session, log out and use your security key to get access again and don't lose everything".

[-] SweetCitrusBuzz@beehaw.org 5 points 3 days ago

[Sincere] Would you like solutions to this or would you prefer not to use it?

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 0 points 3 days ago

Which client are you using and when was the last time you used it? I haven't had those issues in about 3 years on Element.

[-] Kichae@lemmy.ca 1 points 3 days ago

Not who you replied to, but I've experienced it on both vanilla Element and on Schildichat over and over, as well as repeated logouts that require signin approval from one of my other active sessions.

That are on devices on different floors of the house, or even in different parts of the city.

Shit's jankey as hell.

[-] skankhunt42@lemmy.ca 1 points 2 days ago

I've been using a self hosted server for 5+ years now without any issue. I'm not in many huge rooms and mainly use it for 1:1 chats but its been solid for me.

[-] onlinepersona@programming.dev 1 points 3 days ago

Very weird... I've had the same clients (Element) for years and haven't been logged out once. Just out of curiosity, do you switch between the clients (Element on one computer, Schildichat on another)? That could be the problem.

[-] DoucheBagMcSwag@lemmy.dbzer0.com 10 points 3 days ago

Fuck it's starting

Next time use matrix.

this post was submitted on 24 Sep 2024
77 points (100.0% liked)

Piracy: ꜱᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʜɪɢʜ ꜱᴇᴀꜱ

54008 readers
511 users here now

⚓ Dedicated to the discussion of digital piracy, including ethical problems and legal advancements.

Rules • Full Version

1. Posts must be related to the discussion of digital piracy

2. Don't request invites, trade, sell, or self-promote

3. Don't request or link to specific pirated titles, including DMs

4. Don't submit low-quality posts, be entitled, or harass others

Loot, Pillage, & Plunder

💰 Please help cover server costs.

Ko-FiLiberapay

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS