submitted 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago) by 2ugly2live@lemmy.world to c/nostupidquestions@lemmy.world

They put out this shelf and I want it, but I don't want to seem strange? It would make a nice plant shelf, but it's not something I can scurry away with, so people would see me while I carried it. Is that a bad thing to do?

EDIT: Never mind. Someone beat me to it. 😭

top 50 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] unemployedclaquer@sopuli.xyz 1 points 3 hours ago

Homie. I wish you better luck in future recycling adventures. I think you might meet cool like minded people along the way.

[-] cosmicrookie@lemmy.world 82 points 3 days ago

I think that it is weird that you ask us and not your neighbour

[-] Blackmist@feddit.uk 17 points 3 days ago

This is what the internet has done to people.

[-] CouncilOfFriends@slrpnk.net 18 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

If a neighbor asked me I would be happy it's not going into a landfill and offer to help carry it. Or I would tell you about the ancient curse it holds, and why no mortal should possess it.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] SLVRDRGN@lemmy.world 3 points 1 day ago

You already know the saying about one man's trash. Just use that if they ask about it.

[-] toofpic@lemmy.world 108 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

I do that all the time. A thing is a thing, and it can be your thing now. I only try to ask myself two things:

1. Do I really need that?
  2. Is it in a good condition? I have a lot of used stuff at home, so if I took something half-broken, it would look like a dumpster already.

Sidenote: I live in Denmark, where people overconsume, and then get rid of stuff which is still in good condition.

[-] cabbage@piefed.social 9 points 3 days ago

I recently moved to Denmark. A lot of my stuff is from the trash, including a huge old school full wood dinner table, TV, and my stereo system (works as a charm, sounds amazing). I also picked up an amazing old cast iron frying pan.

I make sure to check the big thrash (storeskrald) regularly. Things pop up there that I would never have afforded myself if I had to pay for it.

I think Denmark/Copenhagen is a bit crazy in this regard though.

load more comments (1 replies)
[-] RBWells@lemmy.world 56 points 3 days ago

If I put something by the road, instead of in the bin, it is because I want someone to take it. Yes take it. If you are unsure, go up and let them know you want it,I can say with absolute confidence, they will say to take it.

[-] HakFoo@lemmy.sdf.org 12 points 3 days ago

I put out one of those big plastic storage units with like 30 little drawers recently, figuring although 2 were missing, someone could still use it. I stood it next to the dustbin, on trash day where it would be optimally visible for anyone who wanted to scrounge it.

The bloody HOA took a picture and sent a nastygram.

[-] RBWells@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

I have no HOA, I need no HOA,and want no HOA. I do not care if my neighbor puts his car on blocks. City code enforcement will eventually move on any outrageous lack of upkeep.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Once I was moving house and we set an old couch out on the sidewalk. It was very large and heavy so we were concerned that no one would take it. But we lived in a poorer area where most everything got taken, and sure enough it did disappear.

A few more days went by and we continued packing to move. The big day finally arrived and I went out that morning to greet the mover truck and found that whoever took the couch had come back and returned it during the night! I was like “you can’t do that!” LOL

[-] kambusha@sh.itjust.works 3 points 3 days ago

Brb, dropping the kids off

[-] nutsack@lemmy.world 18 points 3 days ago

its very normal to to do this in southeast asia

[-] TheAlbatross@lemmy.blahaj.zone 56 points 3 days ago

This is totally kosher where I am and I've done it before, but if I think I'll be observed I'll ask my neighbor. They've always responded with some variation of "oh of course, I consider it trash" and sometimes explain reasons they're getting rid of it that dissuaded me from taking it that weren't immediately obvious.

[-] circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org 40 points 3 days ago

"One man's trash is another man's treasure" exists exactly for this, I think.

[-] SoGrumpy@lemmy.ml 9 points 3 days ago

Except in Germany. Anything put outside for refuse collection is considered property of the town or city.

Taking something from the pile is punished as theft, and if caught, you will be fined.

[-] toofpic@lemmy.world 11 points 3 days ago

I was thinking that I could as well live in Germany, until this moment. Seriously.

One man's garbage is another man person's good un-garbage.

[-] Etterra@lemmy.world 21 points 3 days ago

As a kid in the 80s I lived in a burb where once or twice in the summer they had a day where they could put out big clunky stuff for trash pickup that normally wasn't allowed. So stuff like furniture, mattresses, old tires, etc. You'd routinely see cars driving past to see if there was anything they wanted to take. Our church friends, a family with 6 kids, would have a few ride off on their bikes and scout for useful stuff and call dibs. Then one brother went back home to get someone to bring the station wagon around while the others kept guard over the claim.

It was a good system for giving a second life to stuff that was still good (or fixable) but that you didn't want or weren't able to lug to the flea market or something.

[-] Aussiemandeus@aussie.zone 5 points 3 days ago

We have this still where I live. Was just this weekend gone in my neighbourhood.

Last week it was the rich neighbourhood and the council was there stopping people from taking anything saying that it all belongs to the council.

Dann rich fuckers get extra protection for their rubbish mean while our houses get broken into and cars stolen constantly

[-] Varyk@sh.itjust.works 23 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

this is quite literally how I get all of my furniture, extending the lifespan of consumer goods is a good thing.

now you know for next time!

[-] brygphilomena@lemmy.world 7 points 2 days ago

People around me put things out early with the expectation and hope someone will come and take it.

[-] foggy@lemmy.world 27 points 3 days ago

When I lived in a college town, the last week of May was the best time to get used furniture.

College kids everywhere abandoning all kinds of shit on the greenbelt that they had no way of bringing home.

I'm sure there is furniture in my current home that came from some stranger college kid.

load more comments (6 replies)
[-] Cagi@lemmy.ca 18 points 3 days ago

There's a well established tradition of hand-me-down furniture being put out in alleys in East Vancouver. When you move and have no furniture, you can just tour the alleys and come away with a coffee table and a sofa or a couple of chairs. Did it a few times. You gotta know how to check for bed bugs though.

[-] badlotus@lemm.ee 7 points 3 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

My neighborhood has bulk trash pickup monthly. Most of the bulk trash gets put out the week prior to pickup day. The majority of this trash doesn’t make it to the dump! People with trailers come by and pick up anything remotely usable. I like to think they are reusing/upcycling this stuff but I really don’t know. I see this as a huge win because it keeps stuff out of the dump but it does feel very dystopian to see a junk economy like something from Fallout.

I’m in the USA btw. Others have pointed out that some countries have different laws regarding ownership of trash. Don’t get in trouble with law enforcement, get to know your neighbors better! It’s not trash if they give it to you.

[-] sgt_hulka@lemmy.sdf.org 3 points 2 days ago

I put trash on the curb knowing the kids next door will pick it up and use it. They love to score new stuff, and I love seeing an old bicycle or chair getting new love.

[-] Kolanaki@yiffit.net 16 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

It's only weird if the person who threw it away makes it weird by getting upset and calling the cops, which is their legal right for some damn reason.

I don't mind people picking through my trash; just as long as they don't make a mess throwing garbage out of the can and leaving it all over the place.

[-] DMBFFF@lemmy.world 16 points 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago)

If you're sure they don't want it, take it.

If you aren't sure, ask, if if they are there, and if they aren't there, take it and ask later if they wanted it (return it if they did).

There's no shame in re-using good or even repairable stuff: indeed, be proud.

[-] tonyn@lemmy.ml 3 points 2 days ago

I actually love it when people take things I put by the curb. I would much rather someone get use out of it than have it end up in a landfill.

[-] psion1369@lemmy.world 4 points 2 days ago

Where I live, there are people who make a decent amount of cash by grabbing whatever metal they can find out of the trash and taking it to scrapyards. There are a couple of trucks that swing past my house a few times the night before and the day of trash pickup. And myself, I grabbed two bikes by just knocking on the door and asking.

[-] stringere@sh.itjust.works 2 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

We have scheduled bulk item pickups in pur city. The night before you will usually see at least a couple trucks driving around tossing any scrap metal they find in the bed.

Got a scooter, bike, and eliptical from a neighbor the same way.

[-] spittingimage@lemmy.world 14 points 3 days ago

It wouldn't be weird, but talk to your neighbour first.

[-] deegeese@sopuli.xyz 12 points 3 days ago

The free pile is always available.

[-] lettruthout@lemmy.world 12 points 3 days ago

In my neighborhood taking stuff left at the curb is the norm. Sometimes we‘ll leave a sign to clarify something is free. There have been times when I’ve taken something, used it for a while, then put it back out in the curb for someone else to enjoy.

[-] MTK@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

One persons trash is another persons treasure.

There is a reason why this is a universal saying.

If it's up for grabs, grab it

[-] Schlemmy@lemmy.ml 8 points 3 days ago

Just go and ask

It may or.may not be weird depending on the situstion, your neighbor's personality, your relationship with your neighbor, etc.

But weird != wrong.

[-] Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works 6 points 3 days ago

If I have a bulky item to discard, I call 311 or use the My311 app to arrange city pickup, and put it by the curb the day before. It's my hope that none will still be there by the time the truck arrives. Because that means it's being used by someone, which is better for everyone. If it's a neighbor, that's cool too.

[-] N0body@lemmy.dbzer0.com 7 points 3 days ago

Why is that weird? I put things out hoping someone will grab it, so i don’t have to risk the city not taking it.

[-] Hikermick@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

Something is wrong with anyone that would look down on you for it

[-] DaGeek247@fedia.io 7 points 3 days ago

Lmao, not at all. Check it for bugs, but trash is fair game. I live in a college town and there is good furniture out every semester if you like the look of it.

It's technically illegal, but if cops aren't pursuing stolen cars, they damn sure won't care about trash bring stolen.

And, based on your edit, I'm not the only person who agrees.

[-] Kalkaline@leminal.space 6 points 3 days ago

I got a decent table saw this way. I don't mind picking up something that someone else doesn't want and I might one day use.

load more comments
view more: next ›
this post was submitted on 23 Sep 2024
184 points (97.4% liked)

No Stupid Questions

35369 readers
853 users here now

No such thing. Ask away!

!nostupidquestions is a community dedicated to being helpful and answering each others' questions on various topics.

The rules for posting and commenting, besides the rules defined here for lemmy.world, are as follows:

Rules (interactive)

Rule 1- All posts must be legitimate questions. All post titles must include a question.

All posts must be legitimate questions, and all post titles must include a question. Questions that are joke or trolling questions, memes, song lyrics as title, etc. are not allowed here. See Rule 6 for all exceptions.

Rule 2- Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material.

Your question subject cannot be illegal or NSFW material. You will be warned first, banned second.

Rule 3- Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here.

Do not seek mental, medical and professional help here. Breaking this rule will not get you or your post removed, but it will put you at risk, and possibly in danger.

Rule 4- No self promotion or upvote-farming of any kind.

That's it.

Rule 5- No baiting or sealioning or promoting an agenda.

Questions which, instead of being of an innocuous nature, are specifically intended (based on reports and in the opinion of our crack moderation team) to bait users into ideological wars on charged political topics will be removed and the authors warned - or banned - depending on severity.

Rule 6- Regarding META posts and joke questions.

Provided it is about the community itself, you may post non-question posts using the [META] tag on your post title.

On fridays, you are allowed to post meme and troll questions, on the condition that it's in text format only, and conforms with our other rules. These posts MUST include the [NSQ Friday] tag in their title.

If you post a serious question on friday and are looking only for legitimate answers, then please include the [Serious] tag on your post. Irrelevant replies will then be removed by moderators.

Rule 7- You can't intentionally annoy, mock, or harass other members.

If you intentionally annoy, mock, harass, or discriminate against any individual member, you will be removed.

Likewise, if you are a member, sympathiser or a resemblant of a movement that is known to largely hate, mock, discriminate against, and/or want to take lives of a group of people, and you were provably vocal about your hate, then you will be banned on sight.

Rule 8- All comments should try to stay relevant to their parent content.

Rule 9- Reposts from other platforms are not allowed.

Let everyone have their own content.

Rule 10- Majority of bots aren't allowed to participate here.

Credits

Our breathtaking icon was bestowed upon us by @Cevilia!

The greatest banner of all time: by @TheOneWithTheHair!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS