submitted 3 days ago* (last edited 3 days ago) by The_Picard_Maneuver@lemmy.world to c/starwarsmemes@lemmy.world
top 49 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] drunkpostdisaster@lemmy.world 10 points 2 days ago

They really fucked up their villains. Snoke needed to be more then just some guy. Phasma could have been a great side villian and gave Finn something to do. Huxley was incredibly portrayed and really came off as a threat before they made him into a clown and killed him off just like they did Phasma. A b plot where the villains have a Game of Thrones style intrigue going on would have been rad.

But nope, going back to Palpatine.

[-] stellargmite@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

I remember little about the prequels but for some reason I remember Darth Grevious dying by slipping on a banana peel. Consistant line of cool villains dying in stupid ways in star wars post 80s. Boba Fetts demise was silly I guess.

[-] mack7400@lemmy.world 14 points 2 days ago

This is why I'm confident that Han Solo is fine. Shaft's ain't shit.

[-] finitebanjo@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

He was also impaled by a lightsaber and his lifelong friend Chewy fought to the death immediately afterwards but its all a moot point since Ford hated playing him anyways.

[-] Jolteon@lemmy.zip 3 points 2 days ago

Hey, he wasn't even cut in half.

[-] finitebanjo@lemmy.world 4 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Yeah but being cut in half increases your survival rate, statistically.

Darth Maul: cut in half, thrown down shaft, lived

Qui Gon Jin: Impaled, laid on floor, died

[-] Jolteon@lemmy.zip 4 points 2 days ago

Don't forget:

Mace windu: tazed a bit and thrown out a window: dead

[-] aviationeast@lemmy.world 41 points 3 days ago

The attempt for more money has left me scarred and deformed...

[-] samus12345@lemmy.world 13 points 2 days ago

Star Wars: The Search for More Money

[-] aviationeast@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago

Stargate the flamethrower!

[-] Sundial@lemm.ee 80 points 3 days ago
[-] Maalus@lemmy.world 75 points 3 days ago

They could have done the return with Snoke. But noo, we need to fuck up the long established canon by adding in old characters. We can't explain how they survived so let's say "somehow they did".

[-] Rhaedas@fedia.io 55 points 3 days ago

I didn't mind the idea of Snoke. A power vacuum means someone else moves in. He didn't even have to be the rumored Plagueis, just someone connected or whatever. Create a new lore that makes sense.

But then he just died. Not even in a fight, but through arrogant ignorance. He could see Kylo's thoughts before, but somehow missed that he was being played? Stupid writing. I'm actually still a fan of TFA, and will defend what it was trying to do, but the other two movies can rot.

[-] wjrii@lemmy.world 26 points 3 days ago

I maintain that killing Snoke as a red herring could be fine, too. I find a tragically irredeemable Kylo Ren to be much more interesting than tall skinny emperor anyway. But even if one didn't like TLJ, TROS was almost the worst possible way to follow it up. It satisfied no one.

[-] Renacles@lemmy.world 13 points 3 days ago

I was convinced that they were setting up Kylo as the big bad, I can't think of the last time Star Wars had a tragic, irredeemable villain. It could have worked really well.

[-] JusticeForPorygon@lemmy.world 5 points 3 days ago

I like what they were going for in TFA with kind of an inverse Luke Skywalker, where he was struggling with the "pull" to the Light, before fully committing himself by killing his Master in TLJ. Then whatever the fuck TROS was happened and none of that really worked anymore.

[-] SSJMarx@lemm.ee 0 points 2 days ago

Killing Snoke was the right move. Nobody needed a lame Palpatine ripoff, focusing the story on the characters that actually matter (Rey/Kylo) was the right decision. The problem was that the third movie needed to build on this idea, and on the other major idea that TLJ introduced (that the war was started by weapons manufacturers for profit), not completely throw them out the window and start over from scratch.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago

Did they not show a cloning facility that was constructing bodies for him? And have we not seen that force users consciousness survive after death? And wasn’t there a whole setup for his consciousness to be transferred into a new body through some dark side ritual? It wasn’t a great explanation but it was sufficient. I’m confused about why people think this was entirely left out. That one line of dialogue is bad but just because those characters don't have an explanation doesn’t mean we as the audience do not. We do!

[-] Maalus@lemmy.world 19 points 2 days ago

The "somehow he returned" betrays bad writing. Palpatine returning invalidates movies 1 - 6, Anakin's redemption, Luke's journey. It invalidates "I am your father" completely because who cares that Vader is his father when ultimately he does jack shit by sacrificing himself to kill one of many Palpatine's bodies. Suddenly the story stops being Anakin is the chosen one, it starts being "let's do this again ahyuk"

[-] Asetru@feddit.org 10 points 2 days ago

And if that wasn't enough, they end what they call the Skywalker Saga with all Skywalkers dead and a Palpatine claiming their name and heritage.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Oh it’s a shitty story no doubt.

I’m just arguing against this notion that Palpatine was put back on the screen with zero explanation of how he returned from the dead.

[-] samus12345@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

It's been a while since I've seen it, but why was the body he was in all rotting and gross if he had freshly cloned bodies to use?

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

That’s a good question because the clone army based on Jango Fett shows that cloning tech is basically perfected in this universe. But the conditions were less than perfect in Palpatine’s case. Jango Fett was there in the facility, young and healthy and giving fresh blood samples daily. It’s not explicit but I took it that there was something special about him that made him ideal, too. Perhaps his genes were more compatible with cloning somehow. Palpatine was not such a specimen. He died unexpectedly, was already old, and they might have had to clone him from whatever they could find, like the smell of his farts on his throne cushion or whatever. Cloning is copying so source fidelity matters.

[-] samus12345@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

You'd think he would have kept some younger clones around, just in case. But then, he also was sure that Luke would join him and Anakin wouldn't betray him even though that's literally how the Sith work.

[-] scarabic@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

He wasn’t thinking ahead there was he. But then again in the Sith world, a clone of you would probably stab you in the back and replace you. The rule of 2 doesn’t allow clones ;D

[-] samus12345@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

Well, he sure broke that rule, then!

[-] Sanctus@lemmy.world 17 points 3 days ago

The return of Sidious was already just okay in the EU. To bring it in to the mainline sequels? Bruh. Where are my Yuuzhan Vong?

[-] Maalus@lemmy.world 17 points 3 days ago

Extended universes always have some really bizzare power creep / weird situations happening. The authors need to one up each other and think of stupider stuff with every book.

[-] Sanctus@lemmy.world 15 points 3 days ago

Yeah, we went through that ocean of good and bad and they chose the bad parts.

[-] JusticeForPorygon@lemmy.world 16 points 3 days ago

Always found it crazy that of all the stories they could have taken inspiration from they chose one of the few that was panned on release

[-] SSJMarx@lemm.ee 0 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

George fumbled the ball hard with the prequels and its never quite been picked back up since. In the 90s, the original cast was all the perfect age to reprise their roles with something like an adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy. It would have been such a fucking slam dunk but instead we got the Prequels and Star Wars hasn't had a good movie since 1983.

[-] JusticeForPorygon@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago

Revenge of the Sith is one of my favorite movies of all time

[-] SSJMarx@lemm.ee 2 points 2 days ago

One of my favorite places to eat is Alberto's, that doesn't make it good.

[-] JusticeForPorygon@lemmy.world 1 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Okay but like Revenge of the sith because I thought it was good.

I like Maximum Overdrive because it's not good.

Adam Sandler movies are a guilty pleasure

[-] Jolteon@lemmy.zip 36 points 3 days ago

Hey, he wasn't even cut in half before he was tossed into a reactor.

[-] marcos@lemmy.world 16 points 3 days ago
[-] FuglyDuck@lemmy.world 5 points 3 days ago

I mean; those robes were itchy enough to make any one irritable

[-] caseyweederman@lemmy.ca 19 points 3 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Actually in the ~~first~~ second wave of comics, Luke joins the dark side to locate and raze Palpatine's cloning factory. There's a deeply meaningful scene where Han and Leia retrieve him and have to convince him that he's redeemable after everything he did to fit in.

[-] Kusimulkku@lemm.ee 2 points 2 days ago

That's a cool idea, but my kneejerk reaction would be to fit in to find something else. Cloning takes away meaningfulness from killing Palpy-B

[-] caseyweederman@lemmy.ca 1 points 2 days ago

That's the point. It took their victory away from them, and would keep doing so.
The movies fell flat so hard because they didn't use it as a vehicle to explore anything, characterwise or emotionally. They missed the point and turned it into a plot speed bump.

[-] Kusimulkku@lemm.ee 2 points 2 days ago

I just think bringing in cloning is making Vader's sacrifice kinda bland

[-] nuez_jr@lemm.ee 1 points 2 days ago

The prophecy of the Chosen One who would bring balance to the Force for a little while.

[-] WhiskyTangoFoxtrot@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago

That was the second wave of comics. The first ones were the ones Marvel put out while the OT was still being made and which continued for a few years after RotJ.

[-] caseyweederman@lemmy.ca 2 points 2 days ago

Ooh thank you, I'll fix it

[-] Sabre363@sh.itjust.works 17 points 3 days ago
[-] possiblylinux127@lemmy.zip 11 points 3 days ago

Until the prequels

Checkmate Star Wars fans

[-] Sabre363@sh.itjust.works 7 points 3 days ago

Yep only the prequels, definitely no sequels in Ba Sing Se

[-] And009@lemmynsfw.com 3 points 3 days ago
[-] Kusimulkku@lemm.ee 1 points 2 days ago

Diocletian's browser history:

this post was submitted on 23 Sep 2024
645 points (98.9% liked)

Star Wars Memes

11496 readers
670 users here now

Hello there. Somehow, Star Wars memes have returned. It's not a trap, this is where the fun begins.

Technical note: if you're coming from another star system and are getting a "Subscription pending" message when trying to dock, that's just the console being slow to display the right message. The connection is already established. (Probably.)

==========

IMPORTANT

Do not post the "good friend" or similar copypasta

==========

Special days!

Friday and weekends: Caption contest. An image will be pinned, and we shall make captions for it and post them in the comments.

Wednesday: Theme day. We have Droids day, EU day, poem day, aliens day... Let the pinned post guide you. Memes with the theme are preferred.

==========

Other universes to visit:

!lotrmemes@midwest.social

!risa@startrek.website

Separatist systems:

!didyoueverhear@lemmy.world

!prequelmemes@lemmy.ml

!prequelmemes@lemmy.world

Oh hey some real SW content for a change (perhaps):

!star_wars@lemmy.world

!starwars@lemmy.ml

!starwars@lemmy.world

!starwarstelevision@lemmy.world

==========

Our galactic citizens have requested more specific rules, so here are a few.

The general idea is, if you're looking here for rules, you're probably someone who doesn't need to have them spelled out. You're fine. But anyway:

1. This is a community for Star Wars memes. This means typically screenshots of Star Wars media with some text or context that's meant to be funny and/or thoughtful. All SW media is welcome: movies, games, comic books, fanart... Other kinds of content, like video links or meta memes (about this community, or Lemmy), are fine as well, just keep it on topic.

2. We are all friends here, and love (sometimes love to hate) Star Wars. Be nice to each other.

3. As fans of fictional media, we can be passionate. If you very strongly disagree with something or someone, take a deep breath before reacting. Anger leads to the dark side!

4. Everything in Star Wars has happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, and it's a rich universe of millions of words and millions of years of history. So current Earthly matters really shouldn't concern us here. In other words, leave politics, philosophies and convictions behind the door. This applies even if it's about something related to Star Wars.

5. Original content is preferred. Reposts are fine, just please limit to a maximum of 3 per day, per citizen. It is recommended, but not required, to mark original memes as (OC) and reposts as (repost).

6. Local mods are the Jedi council. They may take actions that are necessary to maintain peace and stability of the Republic, even beyond the rules outlined here. Follow their guidance.

7. Regular rules of the Lemmy.world instance apply.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS