Hi, I'm relatively new to Lemmy, but I have been posting a lot in the last few weeks.

One thing I see when I post certain website articles is the above message. The post still works, but it is missing a lot of information that other posts have.

Does someone have a link to documentation of what Lemmy is looking for when it builds a post? I would like to be able to contact the web admins of the problem website, and ask them to modify their code so that it is more "Lemmy-friendly".

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

top 3 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] azdle@news.idlestate.org 3 points 5 days ago

This is just a guess, but I'd imagine that happens because the websites use JavaScript to load the actual content of the page, but Lemmy is just parsing the HTML that is returned.

Also, I really doubt you'd have much luck convincing website authors to completely change their architecture just to get previews to work on Lemmy.

[-] drspod@lemmy.ml 6 points 5 days ago

Isn't it the Cloudflare bot detection page that says "Just a moment" (... while we check that you're human)?

It's probably because lemmy servers are constantly loading a bunch of websites to generate previews and Cloudflare decides that those clients look like bots.

[-] pete_link@lemmy.ml 2 points 5 days ago

Right, I'm hoping that the change might be easy. If it requires major work, then no, it would be very unlikely. Thanks for responding.

this post was submitted on 21 Sep 2024
10 points (100.0% liked)

Lemmy Support

4640 readers
49 users here now

Support / questions about Lemmy.

Matrix Space: #lemmy-space

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS