Snowden explains rigged consent game (img-9gag-fun.9cache.com)
submitted 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago) by graphito@sopuli.xyz to c/privacy@lemmy.ca
top 4 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works 11 points 1 month ago* (last edited 1 month ago)

It's even worse when they block access to an account if you don't accept the revised ToS. I was a Vultr customer for years, and then earlier this year they put a ToS block in my face when I logged on with a binding arbitration agreement, and there was no way to disagree or "remind me later." My servers were still running, so they obviously didn't need my consent to continue using the service, but they prevented me from managing my account without accepting the Tos.

So, out of spite, I used "Inspect Element" to remove the popup to get to the support page to close my account. I'm now with Hetzner, which also has the stupid binding arbitration agreement, but so far they haven't presented me with a page-blocking popup.

[-] Greg@lemmy.ca 8 points 1 month ago

Wait, some people don't read the ToS agreements? I'm shocked!

[-] Showroom7561@lemmy.ca 11 points 1 month ago

I must be the only one who spend thousands of dollars getting my lawyer to read over the TOS, just so I can sign up to read grocery store flyers! /s

[-] LWD@lemm.ee 4 points 1 month ago

Terms and conditions are fundamentally unethical in all but the most theoretical way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terms_and_Conditions_May_Apply

this post was submitted on 15 Aug 2024
20 points (77.8% liked)

privacy

2905 readers
57 users here now

Big tech and governments are monitoring and recording your eating activities. c/Privacy provides tips and tricks to protect your privacy against global surveillance.

Partners:

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS