submitted 1 year ago by bbbhltz@beehaw.org to c/foss@beehaw.org
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] eskuero@lemmy.fromshado.ws 1 points 1 year ago

Honestly when I used Signal it felt like a middle compromise between not using Whatsapp without ditching a lot of people. Nowadays I don't have the patience for that. I just keep minimal usage of Whatsapp for some family and friends and moved to my own Matrix instance. You even have bridges so convenience is great.

Also I remember Moxie being totally against the redistribution of Signal outside their own channels (no Fdroid) and refusing some improvements for battery life where your phone didn't have GSF for notifications.

[-] chris@l.roofo.cc 1 points 1 year ago

Have you considered using a relay for whatsapp? I like that I have all my accounts in one app now.

[-] arcticpiecitylights@beehaw.org 0 points 1 year ago

Do you mind if I ask how you set up your own matrix instance? What software did you use? Are you hosted in the cloud or a home lab type setup? Sorry for so many questions but I've been wanting to do this for a while now

[-] russjr08@outpost.zeuslink.net 2 points 1 year ago

I would also recommend the Matrix-Docker-Ansible-Deploy playbook for setting up a Matrix server. It supports Synapse (the "mainline" server implementation), Conduit, and Dendrite as the actual homeserver backend.

It does take a while to go through the sheer number of options they have available, but it makes it incredibly easy to spin up a Matrix server, as well as update one. I haven't setup any bridges with it, but its nice to know that it also supports a great deal of them, and can just be toggled on through the playbook settings.

The documentation is also fantastic, and there's a massive community in case you run into any trouble with it.

this post was submitted on 16 Jun 2023
15 points (100.0% liked)

Free and Open Source Software

17683 readers
19 users here now

If it's free and open source and it's also software, it can be discussed here. Subcommunity of Technology.

This community's icon was made by Aaron Schneider, under the CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS