Android rule (lemmy.blahaj.zone)
submitted 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago) by CosmicFlowchart@lemmy.blahaj.zone to c/196@lemmy.blahaj.zone
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] gerbler@lemmy.world 142 points 1 year ago

Android's file structure is so incomprehensible. I'm genuinely surprised there hasn't been any significant effort made to make it more readable. Pictures saved in app directories, downloads, camera, images, pictures, media, DCIM???.

[-] yogurtwrong@lemmy.world 61 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

Open source developer and Linux enthusiast here. Although cluttered, Android's home directory is fairly simple to understand

The nightmare begins when you take a look at the root filesystem.

One time I was trying to port an OS to my phone and I had to figure out the Android init system. Went to source.android.com and what. the. fuck. Just as a side-by-side comparison:

Linux boot sequence: Android boot sequence (unmodded, SIMPLE):

There are so many wrong things about it like why are there 11, 12 places to put programs (/system/bin, /bin, /usr/bin /system/usr/bin, /sbin, /system/usr/share/bin...)

Why the fuck drivers are scattered around folders instead of just /lib/modules

Why is the home directory /storage/emulated/0/ instead of just /home/0/ (also why the user is named "0")

Where the fuck is everything???

God (Linus Torvalds) forgive me but even Windows is better than that shit

The Linux boot sequence link doesn't work for me

[-] callyral@readit.buzz 10 points 1 year ago

It's a graph, showing a red oval with the text "Linux Kernel", an arrow points from the red oval to a light-green oval titled "Init".

"Linux Kernel" --→ "Init"

load more comments (1 replies)
load more comments (4 replies)
load more comments (11 replies)
this post was submitted on 19 Jul 2023
1888 points (100.0% liked)

16279 readers
3159 users here now

Be sure to follow the rule before you head out.

Rule: You must post before you leave.

^other^ ^rules^

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS