you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] emizeko@hexbear.net 33 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

I thought this was common knowledge... this info was going around in like 2008

[-] NoYouLogOff@hexbear.net 26 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

The eldest zoomers would have been starting middle school in 2008, there's probably a substantial amount of people here that were young and not as online when the info started circulating, and spreading the info fell off as it becomes old news.

[-] BurgerPunk@hexbear.net 11 points 9 months ago

Also elder millenials who were too old to care about the latest pop singer and omly knew who she was because of Kanye interupting her

Literally solidarity on not knowing T-Swift Lore

[-] mar_k@hexbear.net 8 points 9 months ago

As a middle aged zoomer I remember a guest speaker in my 3rd grade classroom gave us an inspirational presentation about never giving up on your dreams or whatever and using Taylor as an example of rising to success. She showed us a photo of a little girl before revealing it was Taylor Swift when she was a child, and basically implied she was an ugly duckling who blossomed into beauty, "so you can too" or some shit

[-] vexikron@lemmy.zip 8 points 9 months ago* (last edited 9 months ago)

I am a middle aged Millennial, and my version of that growing up was Bill Gates, with the whole started a computer lab in his garage story, as if Gates was not the child of wealthy folks who were well connected to IBM and other computing firms, who got him access to hardware that was not really publically available, funded much of his early business attempts, and more importantly, as if Gates didnt just take already existing open source UNIX code written mostly by professors for the good of the public and for research purposes, make some changes to make it proprietary and incompatible with said UNIX code, and do legal jiu jitsu to claim he owned the code so that he could profit off of other people's work, while pretending to the media and public it was all him

load more comments (6 replies)
this post was submitted on 15 Dec 2023
188 points (100.0% liked)

chapotraphouse

13459 readers
831 users here now

Banned? DM Wmill to appeal.

No anti-nautilism posts. See: Eco-fascism Primer

Vaush posts go in the_dunk_tank

Dunk posts in general go in the_dunk_tank, not here

Don't post low-hanging fruit here after it gets removed from the_dunk_tank

founded 3 years ago