submitted 10 months ago by ickplant@lemmy.world to c/cptsd@lemmy.ml
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Bonehead@kbin.social 11 points 10 months ago

Most of my family is half way across the country, but I had friends that I'd spend Christmas with. I learned over time that these weren't very good friends though, and eventually cut their toxic bullying out of my life. Last Christmas was the first one spent alone.

I almost didn't know what to do with myself. The weeks leading up to Christmas, I picked up extra shifts at work since I had the time instead of running around picking up stuff they'd want to buy off of Facebook for Christmas gifts. The night before I fell asleep early because I wasn't frantically making food for the next day. The day of, I slept in instead of getting up at 5am to start breakfast. I casually had coffee and breakfast instead of cleaning up gift wrapping paper and starting prep for dinner. Around 4pm, I started making myself dinner of roasted turkey thighs with garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed fiddleheads that I could never have since everyone else thought they were gross. I drank half a bottle of white wine, which I never do since I didn't like getting drunk around my "friends". I put away food and then fell asleep on the couch, leaving a huge mess that I didn't even worry about with no one complaining about it. And most importantly, I didn't have a single panic attack the entire time.

Sometimes you don't realize how toxic things are until you cut them out of your life.

[-] FlashMobOfOne@lemmy.world 6 points 10 months ago

It's the fucking best.

Glad to hear you had a nice Christmas, and I hope it'll be nice this year too.

this post was submitted on 18 Nov 2023
183 points (95.5% liked)

CPTSD

288 readers
1 users here now

A place to talk about CPTSD.

1. No diagnosis checking is allowed, If someone says they have it, they have it. It's not your job to dig through someone's medical history. It's invalidating.

2. None of the very basic isms and phobias. Includes but not limited to racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, transphobia.

3. CW your post if it contains triggering topics. If you have to ask, just use a CW.

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS