submitted 11 months ago by wombat@hexbear.net to c/politics@hexbear.net

🇵🇸

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] ProfessorAdonisCnut@hexbear.net 41 points 11 months ago

Yes it's self defence, but individual soldiers who commit atrocities should face disciplinary action for it. After the fighting cools Hamas should conduct internal reviews of incidents to investigate dispassionately. Those found to have behaved inappropriately should face consequences, such as losing out on being awarded certain medals, or in extreme cases even face dishonorable discharge.

Personally I'd hope they consider a standard more humane than the model that the US, Israel and their allies apply; counting every military aged male or dead child found with a rock by their hand as a combatant seems insane to me. Ultimately though that is for them to decide.

[-] Dialectdezenuts@hexbear.net 38 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

What does it mean to be a “civilian” when the violence against Palestine is settler-colonial ethnic cleansing?

I don’t want to see kids die, but the “civilians” in the settlements are the perpetrators of a slow-motion genocide against Palestinians. It’s not a meaningful distinction in this type of conflict.

They put themselves there because they are ideologically committed to ethnically cleansing the land of Palestinians so when Palestinians attack the “civilian” settlers stealing their land it is self defense.

[-] SoyViking@hexbear.net 43 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

I have sympathy for the children of settlers who had no choice in the matter. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with their parents who chose to put their own children in harm's way by bringing them to live on stolen land and with the zionist occupation regime who choose to put their own civilians on stolen land to act as human shields.

[-] RyanGosling@hexbear.net 30 points 11 months ago* (last edited 11 months ago)

Israel brought it upon themselves. I feel bad for the people who were born and entrenched into the colony, but the fault lies with their parents and the government who knew damn well what would entail when you kick other families out their homes. Hamas may have pulled the trigger, but they weren’t the ones who flew their enemies into the country to create families.

[-] electric_nan@lemmy.ml 4 points 11 months ago

What does it mean to be a "civilian" in a place with mandatory military service?

load more comments (2 replies)
this post was submitted on 07 Oct 2023
357 points (100.0% liked)

politics

22195 readers
224 users here now

Protests, dual power, and even electoralism.

Labour and union posts go to !labour@www.hexbear.net.

Take the dunks to /c/strugglesession or !the_dunk_tank@www.hexbear.net.

!chapotraphouse@www.hexbear.net is good for shitposting.

Do not post direct links to reactionary sites.

Off topic posts will be removed.

Follow the Hexbear Code of Conduct and remember we're all comrades here.

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS