you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] constantturtleaction@lemmy.world 78 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

The majority of the research out there does not support dark mode being better for your eyes. Generally, you only experience additional eye strain from a screen when the brightness of the screen is different from surrounding light conditions. So if you want to reduce strain, use brighter screens in bright daylight and dimmer screens in a dark room.

However, the research also indicates that it is easier for most people to focus on text when it is dark text on a light background. This is especially true for people with astigmatism (about 1/3 of Americans).

So, kindly leave your default dark mode off my sites. Thanks.

[-] Steeve@lemmy.ca 46 points 1 year ago

But the first comment was in all caps, so I don't know who to believe

[-] Frozengyro@lemmy.world 32 points 1 year ago

Or people should have an option.

True. Updated the last sentence of my comment slightly. I suspect most people who use the Internet are not basement dwelling trolls and therefore probably are typically in brighter surroundings.

[-] PixxlMan@lemmy.world 16 points 1 year ago

I love dark mode, but this is right.

[-] dgriffith@aussie.zone 4 points 1 year ago

Loved the old amber screen VT220 terminals.

Amber on dark grey inactive phosphor (or dark amber depending on how you fiddled with the brightness).

I wonder how much OLED and "true black" displays have contributed to eye strain in recent times. Bright text and absolute black display might be good for vision/clarity but is it good for long term use?

this post was submitted on 01 Oct 2023
510 points (96.5% liked)

fucknestle

934 readers
1 users here now

a community dedicated to hating nestle!

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS