you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] PolPotPie@hexbear.net 61 points 1 year ago

i can only get behind this meme if the apartments have fantastic sound deadening, because sharing walls with strangers is fucking awful

[-] some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org 57 points 1 year ago

I live in a building that was new in 2021. I have never heard any of my neighbors. Modern building materials and techniques go a long way.

[-] TrudeauCastroson@hexbear.net 40 points 1 year ago

That's wild, I feel like all the new build condos near me are paper thin walls but granite countertops so it can be sold as "luxury"

[-] Orcocracy@hexbear.net 34 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

I think it depends a lot on whether you're in a 5-over-1 wooden frame thing or a bigger concrete tower. The wooden buildings I've been in all have seemed passable to pretty bad at noise but the concrete ones have always been great, even the old run-down 1950s ones I've lived in (mold was awful in that 1950s one, but the noise was never an issue).

[-] TrudeauCastroson@hexbear.net 23 points 1 year ago

I'd assume older buildings to be better on noise than a modern build.

My main boomer opinion is agreeing that "they don't build em like they used to" grillman

[-] Owl@hexbear.net 16 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

My building is relatively new, concrete and steel construction, and my neighbor could take up chainsaw sculptures and I wouldn't know.

Those wooden 5-over-1s where the wood is actually sawdust and oil though? Yeah those let a lot of noise through.

[-] crime@hexbear.net 14 points 1 year ago

My main boomer opinion is agreeing that "they don't build em like they used to"

they literally don't, this is 90% capitalism's fault, 10% "the way they used to build 'em substantially reduced the life expectancy of everyone involved", depending on the 'em in question

[-] Orcocracy@hexbear.net 14 points 1 year ago* (last edited 1 year ago)

In the handful of concrete buildings I've lived in both old and new they've all been the same. Nothing super-new though. Maybe the newest I've lived in was built 15 years ago or so.

[-] barrbaric@hexbear.net 9 points 1 year ago

Yeah, I live in a wood building now (technically a 4-over-1) that's like 5 years old and it's super fucking noisy. My last place was in a concrete tower from the 80s and I once tested the soundproofing around dinner: my downstairs neighbor didn't hear an adult jumping up and down and stomping on the floor, and neither neighbor on the side heard me playing music so loud it was uncomfortable for me.

[-] SoyViking@hexbear.net 8 points 1 year ago

I live in a 1960's concrete and brick building and you can hear everything. People walking on the stairs, your next door neighbours flushing the toilet or the people living above you fucking. On the other hand the insulation is a cruel joke and mold has optimal growth conditions.

load more comments (4 replies)
load more comments (4 replies)
load more comments (6 replies)
this post was submitted on 18 Aug 2023
197 points (100.0% liked)

urbanism

22538 readers
1 users here now

This was supposed to be c/traingang, so post as many train pictures as possible.

All about urbanism and transportation, including freight transportation.

Home of train gang

:arm-L::train-shining::arm-R:

Trainposts highly encouraged

Talk about supply chain issues here!

List of cool books and videos about urbanism, transit, and other cool things

Titles must be informative. Please do not title your post "lmao" or use the tired "_____ challenge" format.

Archive links for reactionary sites, including the BBC.

LANDLORDS COWER IN FEAR OF MAOTRAIN

"that train pic is too powerful lmao" - u/Cadende

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS