submitted 4 hours ago by glaber@lemm.ee to c/opensource@lemmy.ml

Hello, I started donating to my favourite open-source projects a couple years ago, but stopped about 6 months ago for different reasons and wanted to get back into it.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has a set system or process they follow when donating

• How much money do you donate? A set amount, whatever you feel like, a percentage of your earnings?

• When do you donate? Whenever you remember, on the first of the month, Thursdays?

• Do you have a minimum donation amount?

• How do you decide what projects to support? Do you forego donations if you've contributed in other ways? Do you keep a list?

• Do you donate to all equally or do you have some sort of ranking? Is it by amount of use, subjective preference, something else?

• What platforms do you prefer using? Liberapay, Opencollective, Patreon, ko-fi, Paypal, Monero, actual post?

So far the system I've devised for myself would go something like:

• put 2 % of all my earnings, whatever they are, in a separate account
  • every quarter (on the first of January, April, July and October) donate the full amount of money in the account (with a minimum of 5 €, so as not to lose a big amount in fees)
  • keep a ranked list of projects that I've used or deemed important or promising in the last three months (projects I donated to recently go to the bottom of the list), things at the top get more money than things at the bottom
  • prioritise Liberapay since it's open-source itself
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Yondoza@sh.itjust.works 4 points 2 hours ago

Are there any foundations that distribute donations to various FOSS projects?

[-] ambitiousslab@lemmy.ml 3 points 2 hours ago

nlnet is the main one that comes to mind.

this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
35 points (100.0% liked)

Open Source

30477 readers
181 users here now

All about open source! Feel free to ask questions, and share news, and interesting stuff!

Useful Links

Rules

Related Communities

Community icon from opensource.org, but we are not affiliated with them.

founded 5 years ago
MODERATORS