Inspired by true events from this morning

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Road_Warrior_10@lemmy.world 89 points 4 hours ago

For context: I make indie games and have released two so far and I'm currently working on the third one which is weird as fuck. So the way that Steam works is, they don't send you money anytime you make a sale, but they send all of it at the end of every month. Now September is almost over and I got an e-mail titled "Steam Payment Notification" and I get all hyped up. I open it and read it that the Payment Notification is actually that there is no Payment since I didn't make $100 in sales. Way to hype me up and bring me down, Steam.

[-] SirDerpy@lemmy.world 13 points 4 hours ago* (last edited 4 hours ago)

Does Steam take a cut for distribution?

If not, while this emotionally sucks, they've a solid operational policy.

[-] Road_Warrior_10@lemmy.world 26 points 4 hours ago

Yes, their cut is 30% which is a lot, but they are pretty much the only big platform out there. Epic games has been trying to get in the game but so far they are not close. Their cut is 15%.

[-] SirDerpy@lemmy.world 25 points 3 hours ago

I want to note that you'd need about $143 in gross sales to meet the threshold of $100 in net profit.

On the surface that sounds like a lot. But, they're providing a service without any guarantee of any income. Epic can only compete because they've few users and are willing to operate at a near loss in attempt to garner market share.

This will be a difficult one for others to understand as a "good deal". Gamers are usually correct when they pull out their pitchforks. This should not be one of those times.

[-] Zedstrian@lemmy.dbzer0.com 22 points 3 hours ago

While I'm no fan of Epic Games for bribing companies to keep games off of Steam for a year or more, Valve's market dominance in PC game sales isn't a good thing for developers or consumers.

[-] SirDerpy@lemmy.world 18 points 3 hours ago

Competition in capitalism is always better than a lack thereof. But, we've not busted monopolies in a significant way since Ma Bell. And, even if we were, at 75% of the global market share they'd not warrant any action yet.

There's going to be a dominant organization because late stage capitalism sucks. And, I'd rather it be Valve than some alternative trying to fuck me over at every opportunity.

[-] ichbinjasokreativ@lemmy.world 2 points 3 hours ago

Steam only charges that for larger developers though iirc

load more comments (2 replies)
load more comments (13 replies)
this post was submitted on 27 Sep 2024
286 points (97.0% liked)

Games

31886 readers
2990 users here now

Welcome to the largest gaming community on Lemmy! Discussion for all kinds of games. Video games, tabletop games, card games etc.

Weekly Threads:

What Are You Playing?

The Weekly Discussion Topic

Rules:

1. Submissions have to be related to games

2. No bigotry or harassment, be civil

3. No excessive self-promotion

4. Stay on-topic; no memes, funny videos, giveaways, reposts, or low-effort posts

5. Mark Spoilers and NSFW

6. No linking to piracy

More information about the community rules can be found here.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS