submitted 4 days ago* (last edited 4 days ago) by Twiddle@monero.town to c/monero@monero.town

I have been working on a feather wallet plugin to be able to simply perform xmr<->btc atomic swaps using the inbuilt feather GUI. It is very straightforward to use but I would still recommend reading this quick blog post on how atomic swaps work if you don't know so you understand what is going on behind the scenes.

This is also only the second release so there may still be some minor bugs in it, if you find any please post an issue on the github.

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] tusker@monero.town 1 points 1 day ago

So on the other end you will get fresh coins with no history? How does it actually work?

[-] Findmysec@infosec.pub 1 points 1 day ago

I do not know the specifics of how MimbleWimble works, but like XMR, transaction history and metadata is no longer public. Your trace of coins are effectively evaporated when you move coins over MW to another wallet from your "compromised" wallet, and from there you convert to XMR/move to another LTC wallet and pay merchants who accept LTC without MW. Obviously, basic OPSEC is expected but other than that the technology is supposed to work fairly well.

You could also do a swap like LTC->XMR->LTC and spend it that way, losing some money in the process but soothing paranoia in return

[-] tusker@monero.town 1 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

If that is how it works then the best way to use it would be to keep a pool of LTC that went through MW then spend from it. You do not want to MW a specific amount then immediately move that same amount to somewhere. Because the receiving party could possibly determine the origin before the MW pass-through just based on the amount.

[-] Findmysec@infosec.pub 1 points 1 day ago* (last edited 1 day ago)

Yes of course, transacting amounts close to the payments you want to make is a bad idea.

I should probably study a bit more about MW, it's been a while

this post was submitted on 23 Sep 2024
23 points (96.0% liked)

Monero

1610 readers
28 users here now

This is the lemmy community of Monero (XMR), a secure, private, untraceable currency that is open-source and freely available to all.

GitHub

StackExchange

Twitter

Wallets

Desktop (CLI, GUI)

Desktop (Feather)

Mac & Linux (Cake Wallet)

Web (MyMonero)

Android (Monerujo)

Android (MyMonero)

Android (Cake Wallet) / (Monero.com)

Android (Stack Wallet)