submitted 2 days ago by Dop@lemmy.world to c/privacy@lemmy.ml

Hi,

Trying to move group chat from telegram to a more private option, but the key feature is its web interface which is so convenient...

I've checked SimpleX, Session, Briar & Element-Matrix, but the first 3 do not have a web version and the latest only has a free version for self-hosting and I haven't looked into self-hosting yet.

I'd completely understand if what I'm looking for doesn't exist for free, but if anyone has a suggestion here, I'm interested!

Cheers

you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] Jolteon@lemmy.zip 6 points 2 days ago

JavaScript runs on the client. It's fairly easy to do the encryption there.

[-] EngineerGaming@feddit.nl 3 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

But the JS is served to the browser each time the page loads, you can't be sure it stays the same between loads. Sure, this is the same problem as malicious updates, but still exaggerated - the opportunity to slip in altered code is "every time you open the page" rather than "every update". Plus much more convenient to do targeting.

[-] JubilantJaguar@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

That's why I emphasized the word "server"

this post was submitted on 24 Sep 2024
29 points (100.0% liked)

Privacy

31366 readers
1583 users here now

A place to discuss privacy and freedom in the digital world.

Privacy has become a very important issue in modern society, with companies and governments constantly abusing their power, more and more people are waking up to the importance of digital privacy.

In this community everyone is welcome to post links and discuss topics related to privacy.

Some Rules

Related communities

Chat rooms

much thanks to @gary_host_laptop for the logo design :)

founded 4 years ago
MODERATORS