you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] jpreston2005@lemmy.world 2 points 3 weeks ago

The Universe is expanding, rapidly from the big bang still. At some point, it will slow down, and then stop. Then begins a catastrophic cycle of collapse with massive black holes coalescing into one universe eating black hole that compresses every bit of matter into a single point of almost infinite density. At this point the black hole destabilizes, and all of the stored energy is released in one colossal explosion. A Big Bang of sorts.

The Universe is an Ouroboros.

[-] palordrolap@fedia.io 5 points 3 weeks ago

There's no proof the universe will end in a Big Crunch. Apparently there's some measure of the universe where if it's less than 1, we'll get a Big Crunch, and if it's greater than 1, we'll get a Big Rip where everything just falls apart. I may have those backwards, but the important thing is when it's exactly 1, it implies a universe that continues forever, getting colder and colder. And as best as science can determine for our universe, the value is precisely that.

But here's another, well, dimension to that: There's a popular but unprovable conjecture that our universe is the inside of a black hole that exists in a higher-level universe. In our universe, black holes boil away due to Hawking radiation, a process that can take trillions of years for very large black holes.

Once the black hole we're inside of stops consuming matter in the level above, that spells a very slow but alternative end to our universe. One day it will simply cease to exist.

"This the way the world ends: Not with a bang, but a whimper." -- T.S.Eliot.

[-] jpreston2005@lemmy.world 2 points 3 weeks ago

That is interesting but I reject the alternate theories of the Big Rip and the Silent Extinction because they are scary and I don't like them.

[-] sploosh@lemmy.world 1 points 3 weeks ago* (last edited 3 weeks ago)

I've become a fan of the "We're already in a black hole" theory. The Schwarzschild radius for the mass of the known universe is larger than the radius thereof.

It's probably not correct but I do like it.

[-] Iapar@feddit.org 4 points 3 weeks ago

Sometimes I think our universe is just an explosion in a big ass combustion engine.

So everytime I drive a car I create and destroy countless universes just to get some nuggets. Worth it.

[-] nevemsenki@lemmy.world 3 points 3 weeks ago

Somehow I find the Big Crunch more comforting than Big Rip...

[-] GrayBackgroundMusic@lemm.ee 1 points 3 weeks ago

At some point, it will slow down, and then stop

All of the current scientific evidence disagrees with this. 1) There is a velocity such that you can go faster than gravity will be able to slow you down: escape velocity. So, it's possible even without any new, weird physics. 2) The hubble constant shows that the universe isn't slowing down, but the opposite: it's accelerating. Physics doesn't know why (see Dark Energy). It's physically measurable that things farther away are accelerating even faster scaling with distance.

this post was submitted on 02 Sep 2024
86 points (98.9% liked)

Ask Lemmy

26350 readers
2290 users here now

A Fediverse community for open-ended, thought provoking questions

Rules: (interactive)

1) Be nice and; have funDoxxing, trolling, sealioning, racism, and toxicity are not welcomed in AskLemmy. Remember what your mother said: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. In addition, the site-wide Lemmy.world terms of service also apply here. Please familiarize yourself with them

2) All posts must end with a '?'This is sort of like Jeopardy. Please phrase all post titles in the form of a proper question ending with ?

3) No spamPlease do not flood the community with nonsense. Actual suspected spammers will be banned on site. No astroturfing.

4) NSFW is okay, within reasonJust remember to tag posts with either a content warning or a [NSFW] tag. Overtly sexual posts are not allowed, please direct them to either !asklemmyafterdark@lemmy.world or !asklemmynsfw@lemmynsfw.com. NSFW comments should be restricted to posts tagged [NSFW].

5) This is not a support community.
It is not a place for 'how do I?', type questions. If you have any questions regarding the site itself or would like to report a community, please direct them to Lemmy.world Support or email info@lemmy.world. For other questions check our partnered communities list, or use the search function.

Reminder: The terms of service apply here too.

Partnered Communities:

Tech Support

No Stupid Questions

You Should Know

Reddit

Jokes

Ask Ouija

Logo design credit goes to: tubbadu

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS