hmmm (lemmy.dbzer0.com)
you are viewing a single comment's thread
view the rest of the comments
[-] MeepMorp@lemmy.world 111 points 1 month ago

This is a legit method for building small things like that where you can use the brick-like shape of the bag when it's hardened. You just need to make sure the concrete gets soaked all the way through with a hose or rain.

https://www.core77.com/posts/80454/An-Easy-Way-to-Build-Retaining-Walls-Leave-the-Concrete-in-the-Bag-Stack-Like-Legos-Wet-With-a-Hose

[-] RattlerSix@lemmy.world 42 points 1 month ago

There's a park on the lake near me that has a retaining wall that steps down into the lake swimming area built this way. The bags are rotted away so they're just concrete pillows now. They're been there at least 20 years

[-] TexasDrunk@lemmy.world 11 points 1 month ago

That's exactly how I built a retaining wall at my last house. It had rotting railroad ties that I got rid of and I just stacked bags of concrete before it rained. The concrete set, the bags degraded, and I had a cool retaining wall in my back yard.

[-] cm0002@lemmy.world 18 points 1 month ago

In like 10 years when the bags have all eroded away it'll also leave a neat look formation I'd bet lol

[-] 667@lemmy.radio 12 points 1 month ago

Lots of revetments for water control in South Florida were built like this in the past. The burlap sacks all eroded away and leave an interesting pattern like you mentioned.

[-] BigPotato@lemmy.world 8 points 1 month ago

A state park near me did this with a giant set of stairs.

Looks neat. Is awful to walk down.

this post was submitted on 15 Aug 2024
344 points (98.9% liked)

hmmm

4581 readers
178 users here now

Internet as an art

Rule 1: All post titles except for meta posts should be just plain "hmmm" and nothing else, no emotes, no capitalisation, no extending it to "hmmmm" etc.

I will introduce more rules later and when I finish doing that I will make an announcement post about that.

For overall temporary guide check out the rules here: https://www.reddit.com/r/hmmm/wiki/rules/

I won't be moving all of them here but I will keep most of them.

founded 1 year ago
MODERATORS